make a headlight/front turn signals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

make a headlight/front turn signals?

I've got an 82 GS750T, complete with fairing. Which is great, since it blocks most of the wind as it's cooling down. However, I will want to run without it when it starts warming back up.

The headlight brackets are still installed, they're simply bent towards each other out of the way.

Anyway, I was wondering how I might go about fabricating a headlight and blinkers. Unless, of course, it's just cheaper to go and buy one. I thought about buying a cheap headlamp from the hardware store, and making a bracket to hold it in, but I think the rectangular headlight might not look so good.

As long as I can find a connector that will plug into my wiring (figure Radio Shack) will have one, I'm sure that I can rewire it.

Has anyone done anything like this? Any suggestions?

You can find headlight assemblies and universal brackets here:

under electrical/headlight. Most people go with the Kawasaki headlight assembly when using the universal brackets. If you want to go cheaper, you can usually find a "bullet" headlight assembly off of a Shadow or other cruiser, even a Harley will work, on Ebay pretty cheap. As long as you go with a side-mount headlight, you should be able to use it with the universal brackets.

BTW, you'll probably have to remove your top triple tree to remove your old bracket, but the universals go on without all of that hassle.

I guess you could mount blinkers on the headlight bracket if the stems were long enough, or go with handlebar-mounted blinkers. I've even thought of mounting blinkers to where the round reflector screws in by making a metal bracket and bolting it there. Just a few ideas.

I've even seen people use tractor headlights from Tractor Supply. I think they just used the bucket and ring and upgraded the headlight itself. Never tried it myself.
    Last edited by Guest; 11-10-2006, 04:10 AM. Reason: added info

Comment

I would mention one caveat for USA riders, and I assume everywhere else, too. Make sure you use parts that are DOT approved. The DOT approval will be stamped on the light, usually the lense. Which means your cool outasight LED lights might be verboten.

I know, I know. I'm just mentioning it, OK.

The deal is if you were ever in an acccident and a key part of your defense was "my lights were on and my left turn signal was blinking" if the lights weren't DOT approved you'd be SOL and the insurance companies WILL look. Just a mention.

Comment

Working...
      X