No announcement yet.

Not bad for an afternoon's work + pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's coming along nice! Keep the pics coming!

You used glass to blast your frame? How was the process? Did the glass strip the paint easily? The shop I am using to blast my frame uses steel grit #80. Do you think that's too aggressive?
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
      That's coming along nice! Keep the pics coming!

You used glass to blast your frame? How was the process? Did the glass strip the paint easily? The shop I am using to blast my frame uses steel grit #80. Do you think that's too aggressive?
      I sandblasted the small brackets myself, and used a glass bead. Stripped the paint and rust pretty well. The shop that did my frame and swingarm used silicon carbide, which is quite a bit more aggressive than the glass beads. They also had to normalize the frame to remove the paint. Not really sure about the specifics, I dropped the frame off, and when I picked it up, it was uber-clean. Only thing left for me to do is shake the excess grit out of the frame tubes. if your painting, I would recommend a silicon carbide to you. It left a pretty smooth surface to paint over. I'll hit it with a filling primer, and then spray it. If your powdercoating, your going to need a much rougher surface than I have, and I would trust the shop thats doing it.

Comment

It might be too late now but you might want to check out the cost of some good automotive paint instead of rattlecans. A good two part epoxy primer is superior and well worth the cost. Harbor Freight sells low cost spray guns. Once you make the jump, it opens up a whole new world.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H View Post
          If your powdercoating, your going to need a much rougher surface than I have, and I would trust the shop thats doing it.
          Yep, I'm getting it powdercoated, so I guess the aggressive steel grit will be good.
          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

A progress Update

Well, I finally got to my buddies, so I can use his welder. I will be posting a how to article on changing the rear fender soon. Quite a few pics, but I still have one last task to do. Anyway, My Frame has paint! Here are some pics

All Wrapped Up from the painter...Well me, cuz I painted it at my Dad's

Here's the color

I really hate polishing aluminum, but it sure is worth it.

A note about the side covers, the messy looking part on the clutch cover is actually a reflection of the camera flash. Its hard to take pics of shiny aluminum. Oh yeah, I also have new emblems to go on the side covers. Anyone know of a good way to get the old glue residue off?
            Last edited by Guest; 01-29-2007, 10:45 PM.

Comment

To remove old glue residue

Have you tried WD40.

Comment

Hmmm....

I keep looking at the lead picture of this post...

and thinking the bike needs something, well other than a seat and some paint. To me, it looks like the front wheel is too close to the frame. Part of this is because I have swapped the forks with a 650G and have lost the leading axle. I am also wondering if the tripple trees are different between the two bikes (650G and 650 GL)? Like maybe the 650G has more rake built into the clamps? Probably not, they are probably machined parallel to the steering stem, but its just a thought. I guess it could just be the fender, cuz this one doesn't look as bad

I might have to figure out how to rake the bugger a little. Thoughts???

Comment

Actually, I think some ape hangers would look pretty sweet the way it is.

Comment

Originally posted by xmishx View Post
                    Actually, I think some ape hangers would look pretty sweet the way it is.

I hope your kidding.....

NO APE HANGERS!!!! EVER!!!!

Comment

I hope your kidding.....

NO APE HANGERS!!!! EVER!!!!
                      Thank goodness...
                      Currently bikeless
                      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I think it looks good, is that fender aftermarket? The 83 GS 850 I am getting this week has a different fender, I like yours better

Comment

Which fender? The rear is from a Harley Dynaglide. Not sure of the year, but I think they call it the street bob. My buddy had it laying around, and gave it to me. The front fender is a stock plastic one.

Comment

New Seat.

After seeing this thread http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?

I decided to scour Ebay high and low for a seat. I found one, and won it yesterday. Here is a link to the Ebay listing.

Cross that of the LONG list of things to do. Now I just gotta strip the seat down, weld new mounts to the pan, and figure out how to incorporate the lock mechanisim into it...or maybe I'll just you a 1/4 turn fastener...

Comment

I keep looking at the lead picture of this post...

and thinking the bike needs something, well other than a seat and some paint. To me, it looks like the front wheel is too close to the frame. Part of this is because I have swapped the forks with a 650G and have lost the leading axle. I am also wondering if the tripple trees are different between the two bikes (650G and 650 GL)? Like maybe the 650G has more rake built into the clamps? Probably not, they are probably machined parallel to the steering stem, but its just a thought. I guess it could just be the fender, cuz this one doesn't look as bad

I might have to figure out how to rake the bugger a little. Thoughts???
                              I agree with the thought that it needs a little more rake. That said, I'm in the middle of a neck re-attachment and would therefore recommend avoiding it. If you can visualize all the handle bar, lights and gauges area a little less cluttered, lower and further back, it'll lead the eye away from the top and give the wheel more forward prominence.

Comment

Which fender? The rear is from a Harley Dynaglide. Not sure of the year, but I think they call it the street bob. My buddy had it laying around, and gave it to me. The front fender is a stock plastic one.
                                Yea, the rear. Did you have to do any major surgery to get the fender on? Is the tail light inside the fender or just not mounted yet?

Comment

Working...
                                X