Not bad for an afternoon's work + pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

as promised

Ok, I got a bunch o pic to put up here now. For the first post, I promised some pics of the fender mounting... here you go

I drilled a 0.500" hole in the frame tube here, and inserted some 0.500" OD x 0.375" ID tubing into the hole, and welded it in place. I wanted to make sure that the frame rails were as strong as possible after removing about 2/3 of the cross section. A 3/8" bolt with a nut welded to the fender will also make it possible to support the fender in shear, and not have to worry about the fender sheetmetal giving out. I prolly overbuilt it, but oh well.

Heres a pic with the fender in the frame

Comment

Taillight brackets

Ok, Next for the taillight here are a couple pics of the taillight bracket, and some pics of how the light fits. here we go...

Here is the light in the fender.

I have more if someone interested

Comment

Now, here is the seat. I'm gonna have some issues here, I think. This picture shows the seat in prime position over the fender. Notice where the front of the seat fits on the gas tank?

Now, here is the seat where I "think" it should be.

I think I'll be able to get there by trimming the stock seat mounting tabs, and raising the fender up a couple of inches. It may also have to slide back a little in the frame.

For right now though, I need to concentrate on getting the frame back together. Supposed to be 50 here this weekend, and above freezing all week. The snow is gonna melt fast, and I'm gonna wanna ride this thing.

Comment

Nice work, and from one engineer to another, I highly doubt you will regret 'over engineering' it.

Good luck with the seat and future mods.

And yes, I can't wait to get to the good weather either. With a little luck, I will be turning my bike over by Sunday.

Comment

Looks like that fender has got a ways to move before that seat radius will match.

Now I'm starting to worry. I haven't worked out that detail yet.

Its apparently a little cold in your garage judging by the gloves.

Comment

Thanks for all the pictures. Awesome job with that frame! Keep us posted on the seat. I think I will hold off ordering mine till I see if you can get yours on

Comment

Did you paint or powder coat your frame?

Comment

Painted with a rattlecans. I used Duplicolor Truck and SUV paint. It holds up pretty well. I used it to perform some minor auto body repair, as well as the front end of this bike (last winter's project) We'll see how it does on the frame.

Comment

Originally posted by mortation View Post
                    Thanks for all the pictures. Awesome job with that frame! Keep us posted on the seat. I think I will hold off ordering mine till I see if you can get yours on

oh, I'll get it on! You might be waiting a while, tho. I NEED to get the rolling chassis back together, before I start worrying about the seat and such. I still need to paint some stuff, replace some bearings, and, oh yeah, figure out where all those parts in boxes came from. The wire harness is going to come inside tonight for a much needed cleaning, and rewrapping. gotta pick up a box of arm and hammer, and some cheap vinegar.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H View Post
                      Now, here is the seat. I'm gonna have some issues here, I think. This picture shows the seat in prime position over the fender. Notice where the front of the seat fits on the gas tank?

Now, here is the seat where I "think" it should be.

I think I'll be able to get there by trimming the stock seat mounting tabs, and raising the fender up a couple of inches. It may also have to slide back a little in the frame.

For right now though, I need to concentrate on getting the frame back together. Supposed to be 50 here this weekend, and above freezing all week. The snow is gonna melt fast, and I'm gonna wanna ride this thing.
                      Get an upholstery shop to mod the seat after you mod the pan? Perhaps much less hassle. The front molds in nicely and the rear does too. Take some out of the middle and Bob's your uncle.

H

Comment

I agree with the seat mods as there seems to be too much of a gap with the original contours although I was reluctant to suggest cutting up a new seat (we did do it with the bikes though) but seriously, who's Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bopi View Post
                          I agree with the seat mods as there seems to be too much of a gap with the original contours although I was reluctant to suggest cutting up a new seat (we did do it with the bikes though) but seriously, who's Bob.
                          I dunno, I think by pulling the fender back and up a little bit it may fit just right. But what do I know

Comment

Originally posted by mortation View Post
                            I dunno, I think by pulling the fender back and up a little bit it may fit just right. But what do I know
                            This is the school of thought I will initially go with. I'm really loathe to tear up a seat in this good of shape. I think if I move the fender around, I'll be able to get it to work. If not, Harley stuff sells pretty good on EBAY, and I'll just end up fabbing my own seat. Not a big deal.

Comment

Tonight's work consisted of driving out the upper and lower races for the steering head, and trying to get the races out of the swingarm. What a pain. No room for a normal puller and there is no access from the back side of the bearing pocket. I may have to have the stealership pull em. Buggers better not charge me after I paid 22 bucks a piece for em. I also got the wire harness rewrapped. I still need to clean all the terminals, and if someone's got an extra laying around, I could use a couple of the plastic connectors. My starter circuit must have gotten pretty hot somewhere along the way. Prolly the PO cranking and cranking trying to get it to fire with bad plugs and dirty carbs. Anyway, heres a pic of the Harness, all shiny and new

Yes, I used duct tape. It matches the color of my frame pretty closely, and the next best thing to hiding the wires in the frame, is making them not noticable.

Comment

Looks like a seamonster.

Just kidding, I'm sure it should be more than fine.

Do you get CBC where you are? Just wondering if you know who Red Green is.

Comment

Working...
                                X