No announcement yet.

Engine parts..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your bike is the 700 the ring and lettering you refer to, I believe is moulded into the cover, as per the 1150 motor.
    Earlier models had a replaceable emblem disc on these covers.

Dink

Comment

Heh... I thought I responded to this hours ago, guess I never hit post. Dink answered the same though... If it's really bad, depending on how its moulded, you might be able to tape it off, cut the tape with a razorblade, and hit it with some high gloss engine enamel or caliper paint...

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholaschase29 View Post
        http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit...me~GS700EF.asp
        I see the cover itself (number 11) but I do not see thin inserts for it... mabey I have misinterpereted you.
        I apologize for my ignorance. Your model seems to have the "emblem" molded into the cover. As my bikes are older, I'm not used to such modern marvels Your restoration will be more challenging. But I'm sure the results will be just as rewarding. Labor of love, my friend. Good luck to you.

Comment

If your emblem is molded into the cover, you may be able to mask off the surrounding area, then paint the entire emblem gloss black. After the paint is dried, you can then use a fine grit (no less than 800 grit) sandpaper to remove the paint on the raised part. After the paint is removed, you can then polish the raised area with a Dremel and a small buffing wheel.

I have used this method with polished fin edges on black engines, polished raised lettering on Nissin and Tokiko brake calipers, etc. with great results. The finer grit takes longer to remove the paint, but polishing the metal afterwards is much easier since there are fewer sanding marks. I normally use 800 to remove the paint, go to 1000 then 1200 to make it as smooth as possible, then wash the entire area to remove the dust before hitting it with medium then fine rouge with a Dremel. Comes out looking better than new. A dab of Simichrome or something similar every couple of months keeps everything shiny.

Comment

Thanks guys, I got some wet sand paper for christmas so I got to it right away :-D! its looking really good, I will post some pictures when I get my camera back (I left it at my grandmas house for christmas). I just wet sanded and applied mother polish. I was wondering though if I need to wax the cover, or if the mothers is enough to protect.
            Thanks for all the advice!
            Nick

Comment

I'd use some Autosol on it, or go to the Eastwood website and buy their aluminum sealer. Order their free catalog while you're at it, it's full of really neat stuff.

Comment

Nick they are set in and just get some good model paint and a fine paint brush and repaint the ring and letters. Thank god for my teenage daughter and her steady hand as she did mine. Happy new year!

Comment

Just a warning to ya nic. If you do decide to pull the stator cover and/or the clutch cover off, make sure you have replacement gaskets to put back on the engine. Both the stator and the clutch run in an oil bath, which will need to be sealed back up.

Comment

Here is how she looks now!

Here is a picture so you can compair to the first one

I quit there because my fingers HURT!!!

Thanks for all of your help!
                    Nick
                    Last edited by Guest; 01-03-2007, 11:41 PM.

Comment

I then got so excited that I decided to do my valve cover... which was unexpectantly 10,000 times more difficult to do! But I'm glad I did it (but my fingers aren't!
                      Thanks again!

Comment

That looks awesome! Now to really finish it off, go get some S100 engine brightner for the black engine. You will be amazed!
                        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                        79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Working...
                        X