A dilema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A dilema

So, I am having my frame powerdcoated, and was talking with the guy who does it. For prep, he sends his work to another guy who has a sandblasting rig. Unfortunately, my VIN sticker will not last through the sandblasting process...Has anybody else figured out a solution here? I can't mask it off, can't peel it off, maybe I should etch an aluminum plate, and rivit it back on after powdercoating?

I'm sure this isn't the first time these guys have done this.
    What do they suggest or do in this case ?
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Well, I didn't know that it was a sticker...thought it was a riveted plate. I have not talked to them about it. Problem is that it may be the first time they have done it, cuz the guys I'm using are a start-up business. 200 bucks to drop it off without doing any prep myself, and picking up a freshed coated frame. Gotta figure this one out.

Comment

I bet you can drill out the rivets and pry it off? if not, they should be able to cover it somehow I would think?? even if this is their first, they're gonna hafta learn this little trick someday!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H View Post
          Well, I didn't know that it was a sticker...thought it was a riveted plate. I have not talked to them about it. Problem is that it may be the first time they have done it, cuz the guys I'm using are a start-up business. 200 bucks to drop it off without doing any prep myself, and picking up a freshed coated frame. Gotta figure this one out.
          Cut out a cover from a thin piece of tin or something then use double sided tape to cover the sticker for sandblasting.

Comment

I was able to heat my 1979 VIN sticker with a heat gun, and peel it off with no problem!!!! I then stuck it to a piece of flexible plastic( 3-ring binder sheet protector) for storage till I'm ready to put the finishing touches back to the frame. I was amazed that it came off so nicely.

Comment

I was kinda thinking about the heat gun idea too. I have access to really, really good two sided adhesive so I can stick the bugger back on. Covering it with tin is a good idea to. I love this forum...so much info.

Comment

I thought the VIN number was also stamped on to the steering neck...at least it is on my 1100. Is it necessary to keep the sticker?

Hap

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call View Post
                  I thought the VIN number was also stamped on to the steering neck...at least it is on my 1100. Is it necessary to keep the sticker?

Hap
                  It is and should be the official VIN.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                    I took mine off for powdercoating as well... but mine is wrecked from years of a cable rubbing against it. I wonder if there's anyway to get a replacement

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                      I wanted to bump this topic back up, since I'm taking all the paint off of my frame with a wire wheel today. I've made it about 40% around, and have gotten to the sticker. The sticker on mine (its an '83, where they used a sticker rather than a plate) is pretty much toast anyway.

So Billy, are you saying the vin stamped into the head tube is the official one, and I can just ditch the sticker? I've never run into an issue transfering a title (I have mine, but havn't gone to the DMV to transfer..should just have to forge a signature or two since its changed hands a few times without re-registering), where they actually look at the sticker whether its a car or bike.

So what's the final word? Pull it or try to rescue it?

Comment

Originally posted by LeeGS550E View Post
                        I wanted to bump this topic back up, since I'm taking all the paint off of my frame with a wire wheel today. I've made it about 40% around, and have gotten to the sticker. The sticker on mine (its an '83, where they used a sticker rather than a plate) is pretty much toast anyway.

So Billy, are you saying the vin stamped into the head tube is the official one, and I can just ditch the sticker? I've never run into an issue transfering a title (I have mine, but havn't gone to the DMV to transfer..should just have to forge a signature or two since its changed hands a few times without re-registering), where they actually look at the sticker whether its a car or bike.

So what's the final word? Pull it or try to rescue it?
                        Check with your local Authorities, as this varies from state to state; let alone nation to nation. Would hate for you to get the wrong advice.

Dink

Comment

You don't need the sticker. Most of them (if they are still on the bikes) are toast or unreadable anyway. The stamped number is what the authorities go by. At least that's how it is in both California and Nevada.
                          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                            You don't need the sticker. Most of them (if they are still on the bikes) are toast or unreadable anyway. The stamped number is what the authorities go by. At least that's how it is in both California and Nevada.
                            And Texas.

Comment

I've just put mine in a folder with the rest of the paper work in case I ever need it in another state or otherwise. It peeled right off so it was easy.

Comment

Working...
                              X