Streetfightering the chopper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Streetfightering the chopper

A note to those who think "polishing fenders" and "seat protectant" are appearance mods: This thread might **** you off.

My 850 has been an enigma since I first started to transform it. It started like
    a stock 850GL that looked straight outta the aytays. I didn't like the looks, but for $350 (with the engine in pieces) was I gonna not buy it?

Then I got this idea to turn it into what I hesitate to call a "bobber" because that's Harley ****. I did what I wanted with it. I definitely wasn't looking at any chopper or cruiserbike magazines. I don't own any, nor will I. Alas, here it was:

That's lower by 1-2" in back, 1.5" up front, chopped subframe, made my own seat, and integrated the taillights into it. Then I blacked everything out. I kept the pullback bars.

I got sick of the seat design because it was too damn big (though I did that so a passenger could sit there just in case) and the wiring on the seat was getting chewed by the tire, as was my camera bag. So I changed things:

Yeah, it's getting dangerously into cruiserbike country. I guess I didn't realize what I was doing at the time, but it did look pretty good for what it was. It's just really not my style. It was gravitating scarily toward something I'd seen before.

Then it hit me: Paint it black - the wheels, that is.

Absent the shiny metal wheels I thought it looked closer to a prewar german bike, so I was somewhat content.

Then I decided that the only reason I'd made this into a "slow looking" bike was because it was slow, and the only reason it was slow is because I haven't bothered synching up the carbs with a vacuum setup.

So I decided I want it to look and be fast, so I'm doing it. Here's phase one:

I raised it back up in the back to beyond stock height. I kept the smaller seat and integrated the taillights into the rear of the existing frame. I'm still looking for a place to mount the plate properly. I plan on doubling up the headlights for a bugeyed look with a pair of BMW 5" units. I just bought some motocross style bars that I'll be modifying and putting on in place of the cowboy bars, and might mod it up an interesting rear cowl. It's a bit rough riding at the max suspension preload, but it definitely doesn't bob around like it did when it was lowered.

I'm getting there, and it's gonna be cool as hell.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-21-2006, 03:16 PM.

Since the GSR won't let me post more than 4 pictures at a time:

Stock:

Chopped, lowered, black bodywork, tails in the seat

Blacked out wheels, fender in back

Most recent stage, becoming a streetfighter again:

Comment

The bars I'm gonna be using:

They're dirtbike bars. I'll most likely shave the crossbar and cut them down widthwise because they're 31.5" wide, which is enormous, but they were cheap. They're wide enough where I think they might be able to go inverted after I get rid of the crossbar, which could be cool.

Comment

It looks so much better without that rear fender!!

Comment

I think the rear fender could have looked better rotated forward about 90 degrees. Still would be more Harley-esque, but I have no problem with that. And real bobbers were the streetfighters of their day and they weren't all Harleys.

Comment

Originally posted by tateG View Post
            real bobbers were the streetfighters of their day and they weren't all Harleys.
            They were all Harleys. I have documents.

Comment

That looks nice and *hard*. Great job.

Comment

Originally posted by isaac View Post
                They were all Harleys. I have documents.
                Except for the Indians/Nortons/Triumphs Etc. etc. etc. any one of which could out run a Harley. Those documents are top secret, I'm sure you don't them.

Comment

very nice work, I love the all blacked out bikes

Comment

Originally posted by drhach View Post
                    Except for the Indians/Nortons/Triumphs Etc. etc. etc. any one of which could out run a Harley. Those documents are top secret, I'm sure you don't them.
                    Wait, you mean of the dozens of brands of motorcycles that were sold in America during the bobber days, more than one would get bobbed? That's crazy talk. I stick by my statement. Only Harleys ever get bobbed.

Originally posted by oldschoolorange View Post
                    very nice work, I love the all blacked out bikes
                    Thanks. I've got a thing for em too.

Comment

[QUOTE=isaac;564509]Wait, you mean of the dozens of brands of motorcycles that were sold in America during the bobber days, more than one would get bobbed? That's crazy talk. I stick by my statement. Only Harleys ever get bobbed.

I stand corrected.

Comment

[QUOTE=drhach;564670]
                        Wait, you mean of the dozens of brands of motorcycles that were sold in America during the bobber days, more than one would get bobbed? That's crazy talk. I stick by my statement. Only Harleys ever get bobbed.

I stand corrected.
                        Mmkay then.

Comment

More conceptualization:

That's sans the big turn signals, and with doubled up BMW 5" headlights.

Comment

Digging on the bugeye headlight. First gen GSXR headlights are another option for the bugeye look.

Drag bars or clubmans would look sweet on that setup. The bars on the bike now are too much cruiser, not enough 'fighter.
                            Last edited by Guest; 12-22-2006, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                              Drag bars or clubmans would look sweet on that setup. The bars on the bike now are too much cruiser, not enough 'fighter.
                              Ok

The bars I'm gonna be using:

They're dirtbike bars. I'll most likely shave the crossbar and cut them down widthwise because they're 31.5" wide, which is enormous, but they were cheap. They're wide enough where I think they might be able to go inverted after I get rid of the crossbar, which could be cool.
                              That work?

Comment

Working...
                              X