Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saddle Bags?

'80 GS850G
    Looking for some hard side bags. Currently, I have Calafia on there, but due to my stupidity/not paying attention, I lost a lid for one. I've come to the conclusion I won't be able to find a replacement lid. So, I'm looking for input on new hard side bags. Hard, because that's what's there now, I like the look of them, and they house my turn signals. I've checked Dennis Kirk, and Bike Bandit, and can't seem to find anything in a hard, just a leather. Wondered if any of the GS Genuises had any input on what/where to get? Or, would I be better off with the soft leather, and re-fitting turn signals? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Scott
    (See the PhotoBucket link for what I have now, and the trunk is gone)....

This is one of the bags I am using for a side bag. It is a pretty generic black bag.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-13-2007, 12:45 AM.

Comment

I have a set of Vetter hard bags with trunk that came off from a 79 850. If you send me your email i'll send you the pics. If you like them we can hammer out a price.

Comment

I suggest locating a set of GS1100GK saddlebags, the ones that came with the GK from Suzuki originally. They should fit your 850 just fine with few if any modifications, and the turn signals are integrated with the bags. The hardware for the bags goes with the luggage rack, which is nice to have also. Maybe getting the entire bags/rack/trunk GK set would be a good thing.

Lots of people sell these things, as they try to change the style and purpose of the GK, which is relatively easy to do.

Disadvantage of the GK bags is that they're rather small in capacity. The Vetter bags are much larger; you'd have to get traditional turn signal stalks with these.

Comment

I originally bought the vetter bags for my 82 850. I got them and saw the GK bags that I wanted. They didnt take much modifying to make them fit. That's why I still have the vetters. I didn' get a chance to even trial fit them to my bike. I knew I would have to change the way they mounted because the 79 850 they came is different where they mount near the rear peg/exhaust mount area. The trunk has 4 light on the back of it. I was going to turn the 2 outside ones into directionals and leave the middle as brake lights.

Comment

Thanks!!

WOW!! You guys are great!

Clone, I deeply appreciate your effort, however I couldn't make your link work (2 different computers).

Dennis, I'll PM you with my addy in a minute.

Grandpa, thanks for the insight. There's a local boneyard I stopped in once, looking for a lid for what I have, but for some reason never even thought about a complete setup. Thanks for opening my eyes!

Comment

Working...
            X