No announcement yet.

Best looking gauges?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright, ended up getting a set of whiteface speedo and tach from www.mikesxs.com. Total of just under $100 for both including shipping. Speedo has idiot lights built in. Hopefully I can find an easy to way to preserve my gear indicator on the headlight or something.

Now my bike will be able to go over 85mph! ;-)

Comment

Those are nice...

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
      Alright, ended up getting a set of whiteface speedo and tach from www.mikesxs.com. Total of just under $100 for both including shipping. Speedo has idiot lights built in. Hopefully I can find an easy to way to preserve my gear indicator on the headlight or something.

Now my bike will be able to go over 85mph! ;-)

Post back how these work out - those are pretty sweet and cheap too! The bandit gauges have gone through the roof on ebay.

I picked up the 12volt LED's from radio shack while i was on the hunt for a few carb needle shims. Hopefully i'll get everything wired up this weekend and let you know if i had to add any resistors or anything.

Comment

Originally posted by byrdman76 View Post
        Post back how these work out - those are pretty sweet and cheap too! The bandit gauges have gone through the roof on ebay.
        Will do. There was a post in the tech section a while back where somebody said they got these to work using a zener diode for the blinker light so I don't anticipate any trouble.

There were a like-new MikesXS speedo and tach on eBay separately that I was watching to try to save a few bucks. Some overzealous dolt bid the speedo up to like $65, even though they're available brand-new for $49 with free shipping at MikesXS.com.

I won the tach and saved a few bucks, then bought the matching speedo new from MikesXS.

Yeah, I didn't find any Bandit 400 gauges on eBay, but the Bandit gauges I did find were really expensive.

I picked up the 12volt LED's from radio shack while i was on the hunt for a few carb needle shims. Hopefully i'll get everything wired up this weekend and let you know if i had to add any resistors or anything.
        I suspect you will need a resistors. I found this before I bought those gauges:

Comment

They Worked!

FYI - The Radio Shack 12VDC LED's worked great. I'll post some picks later...

Comment

Originally posted by byrdman76 View Post
            FYI - The Radio Shack 12VDC LED's worked great. I'll post some picks later...
            Yeah, pics please!

Did they come with a length or wire pre-soldered to the leads and heatshrink-wrapped? If so, they might already have resisters on 'em, under the heatshrink.

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
              Yeah, pics please!

Did they come with a length or wire pre-soldered to the leads and heatshrink-wrapped? If so, they might already have resisters on 'em, under the heatshrink.
              The ones I got at Radio Shack had lenses built in and resistors already set. Just drilled the holes and dropped them in.

Comment

For those of you who really want to go cheap on the LED's...You can buy single LEDs, for like pennies, and resistors for the same from any electronics supply house. I actually requested samples one time from Fowler, and they sent me 5 ultrabright LED's, free of charge. To determine your resistance, go to this site.

You put in the LED's characteristics, and its spits out the proper resister to use. Been a while since I've played with em, but with a little reading, you'll be amazed at how many ideas you'll have for LED lighting.

Comment

Alright, here are the MikesXS gauges installed. _Very_ pleased with the result! Cool blue backlight glow, eh? And the idiot lights seem to be some of those intense super-bright LEDs.

To convert to a single blinker indicator I used two 12v zener diodes to isolate the left and right sides (so the whole bike doesn't blink).

Due to laziness the gear shift indicator has been eliminated. Also they haven't been road tested (swing arm laying on the garage floor...), so here's hoping the ratios are correct!

(The camera flash is not very flattering of the general dirtyness of the bike...)

Last edited by Guest; 03-09-2007, 02:28 AM.

Comment

Those are nice! I've got have a mind to rip apart my old set of gages, and measure them up. I can autocad a new face, print it on mylar, and come up with something cool. Wish I had a 140 Mph speedo though.

Comment

There are some nice mini's I thought about using on a different bike:

The speedo here: http://www.oldbikebarn.com/part.php?...playPerPage=50 has all the idiot lights

And the tach is just a tach:

Supplying new parts for Vintage Motorcycles! Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha. Old Bike Barn has what you need for your vintage motorcycle project!

Comment

Looks like I was lat with my links lol t3rmin has pics

Comment

Originally posted by mortation View Post
                          There are some nice mini's I thought about using on a different bike:

The speedo here: http://www.oldbikebarn.com/part.php?...playPerPage=50 has all the idiot lights

And the tach is just a tach:

http://www.oldbikebarn.com/part.php?...playPerPage=50
                          MikesXS.com has a much better price on both!

Comment

Mikesxs gauges

Anybody actually use or test these. I am getting rid of my cluster but still want the idiot lights. Tell me if they work!!!!

Thanks

Comment

Hi

I like this

Comment

Follow up on the MikesXS gauges...

The tach is the wrong ratio and reads way high. Need a 1.4 tach, not a 1.5 for the GS. Speedo appears to be accurate though.

The only other thing is the LED idiot lights (built into the speedo): while appearing almost too bright in the dark, are easily overpowered by daylight and you can't hardly tell when they're on.

But they do look *very* sharp and I'm overall pleased with the result. Maybe some day I'll get the proper ratio tach, but I judge RPM more by feel and sound anyway...

Comment

Working...
                                X