No announcement yet.

Byrdmans "SCUD" cafe project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats one of the tidyiest gs's ive seen in a long time very tastefully done as well, i'm very impressed

well done fella :-D

Comment

Damn Byrd...that is fantasical! Very very nice..

Comment

Thanks guys - I'm glad you all like it \\/

I cant wait to ride it again. I am dying to know what the pipe is going to sound like going down the road. hopefully I'll gain a few ponies, and better accommodate the pods.

The rotor wasn't that bad - about an hour and a half from start to finish including laying out the pattern. Just go slow and use lots of coolant to reduce the risk of warping the rotor. I also turned it after drilling just to be safe. Make sure you lightly counter sank each hole as well.

Comment

Byrdman,

That is one fine specimen of a bike. Usually most the "cafes" I see on this forum are hack job abominations. Glad to see one who takes pride in their work. Your job looks better than stock which is definitely a rarity. Fantastic job bro.

Comment

Originally posted by byrdman76 View Post
            Yeah going for the old school look.

The rims are from a 78 550. I got everything including the axles, spacers, and brake linkage for 50 bucks. The rear shoes were even in great shape :-D.

The 750 and 1000 rims were just too much. I bid a rear 1000 rim up to 60 bucks not including shipping and lost - I said screw it and started looking for 450 and 550 stuff. Yes I'm a cheap bastard

I paid 12.00 for the front forks, 2.50 for the front caliper and pads, and 45.00 for the V & H 4 into 1. The pipe was by far my best find - nearly new in excellent shape. I had to mod the mount to fit my 79 - it was for an 82. All found on ebay.

BTW V & H might send you a replacement badge for your pipe if its gone. I called them up looking to buy one and they shipped it for free and included a bunch of stickers - big shout out for these guys and their customer service\\/

Thanks for the comments
            Don't worry we're all cheap bastards. NOICE price on the V&H. I've been looking for one but I usually don't see anything up on ebay for the 550's.... BTW would you happen to know if there's any difference between the spokes rims from different sized bikes, I.E. from the the 250 to 550 to 1000?

Comment

Originally posted by Ironriot View Post
              Don't worry we're all cheap bastards. NOICE price on the V&H. I've been looking for one but I usually don't see anything up on ebay for the 550's.... BTW would you happen to know if there's any difference between the spokes rims from different sized bikes, I.E. from the the 250 to 550 to 1000?
              Not really man. I was able to switch from mags to spokes and convert to rear drum between the 550's. but I wouldn't feel comfortable giving out any other information on the 750's and 1000's- I'd probably be wrong :-D. I would try and find rims from a 750 or 1000 since it would be an easier swap due to the disk rear.

Comment

Good thinking on the rear spoke rim. I do like disc brakes. And I was asking because I found a 250 spoke rim for $10 on ebay BIN. I was just wondering so that way the weight of my bike doesn't crush it lol

Comment

SHould be ok if spoke count and size is the same. Tho you'll prolly have to swap out the axle.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironriot View Post
                    Good thinking on the rear spoke rim. I do like disc brakes. And I was asking because I found a 250 spoke rim for $10 on ebay BIN. I was just wondering so that way the weight of my bike doesn't crush it lol
                    Watch out for the rotor on the 250. It will more than likely be thinner. The rims on the 450 look pretty much identical to the 550 along with the hubs but the rotor is a bit thinner on the 450.

The difficult part is the axles and spacers are completely different between the L's and other models due to the wheel being mounted in front of the forks. I was able to swap the rotor on the front mag over to the spoked rim, so you may be able to swap your rotor over to the 250 hub. You may also have to space the brake caliper off the fork to accommodate the change. On the other hand you may need a new caliper all together. The caliper on my bike originally used the round pads. When I converted the front forks over to E's my original caliper wouldn't work - rubbed the rotor. I was going to find a caliper off a 70's model E, but Nessim turned me on to the square pad calipers on the 80's and up models - little better performance.

10 bucks is a pretty cheap way of finding out though - good luck.

Contact the people on eBay with bikes that may contain parts that your looking for but may not be listed. This is how i have been getting pretty good deals on parts. I also contact the guys with BIN and offer them lower prices or try and get a break on shipping - everything is negotiable :-D.

Comment

Yeah I was gonna contact him anyways. He wanted to ship it with the rotor and the tire. I was gonna ask him to remove both so I can get a break on shipping. Although I'm not so sure if I'll get it or not. The part numbers don't match up. I'm gonna ask around and see if the spoke count is the same

Comment

How about some new pics

Finished up this stage of the SCUD project a few weeks ago. Today was nice enough to push it out and snap a few shots of the progress.

Comment

Dood Byrd, i loved the bike before...but now....WOW!!! It looks a whole lotta much more sicker! Where'd you get the trick lil zook logo? VERY nice touch. Looks uber vintage Ya need a headlight visor!

Comment

A few more...

Comment

I need to find a sweet black VH pipe like that. I have a nice new shiney chrome one that i cant bring myself to paint. Where'd you get yours or did you paint it?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                                Dood Byrd, i loved the bike before...but now....WOW!!! It looks a whole lotta much more sicker! Where'd you get the trick lil zook logo? VERY nice touch. Looks uber vintage Ya need a headlight visor!
                                Thanks man!

From your recent posts, yours looks like its coming right along as well...

The emblem was one I spotted on ebay. Their off an old hustler TS bike. I was trying to decide between the Suzuki round or these. Either of them give it that vintage look but I'm glad a went with these on this one.

I would like to see what it would look like with a visor...

Take care,

Byrd

Comment

Working...
                                X