Are you down with D.O.T.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you down with D.O.T.?

So I got some nifty bullet lights for directionals and am now woried that they are not DOT certified. The lights I got are:

Any one here familiar with NH inspection regs? I found:

PART Saf-C 3243 LIGHTS AND LIGHTING

Saf-C 3243.01 Turn Signal. Motorcycles shall be rejected if inspection of the turn signal lamp system reveals any of the following:

(a) Any turn signal lamp is:

(1) Not a type compatible with the original equipment;

(2) Not in a position specified by the manufacturer;

(4) Not functioning properly;

(5) Not properly directed; or

(6) Obscured.

(b) Any operating unit is:

(1) Not a type compatible with the original equipment;

(2) Not functioning properly; or

(3) Equipped with a self-canceling mechanism, which functions improperly.

Source. (See Revision note at Chapter Heading Saf-C 3200) #5250, eff 10-21-91; ss by #6603, INTERIM, eff 10-18-97, EXPIRES: 2-15-98; ss by #6664, eff 12-30-97 (formerly
    Saf-C 3242.01. See third Revision Note at chapter heading Saf-C 3200); ss by #8530, INTERIM, eff 12-24-05, EXPIRES: 6-22-06

at
    http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rules/saf-c3200.html but I am not sure if that means yes or no. I plan on mounting them exactly where the mounting hole is at the end of the frame where the stock turn signal bracket would bolt on.

ANY lights DOT approved will have DOT stamped on the lense. NO stamp
    non complaint may cause failure of inspection, depends on inspector ??

Comment

I would bet that the inspector is so overjoyed with his/her job that as long as they blink, they pass. I doubt they're going to go over it with a fine tooth comb. Call a couple of repair shops in the area, see if they've had experience with non DOT lights.

Comment

Hey Mort, how come we haven't seen a pic of your bike yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Bopi View Post
          Hey Mort, how come we haven't seen a pic of your bike yet.
          I second that.

And if you are waiting to only show a polished version, then I am calling you out.

Before pics make the after look even better.

Comment

I have not done anything to it yet unless you want to see it more apart than http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=104537 Right now the valve cover is off the carbs are oin the kitchen table and I am waiting on parts and tools :P

Comment

DOT is just a guideline as far as I'm concered. I am running aftermarket non dot lights as signals. I also plan on putting on stainless lines which I believe are not DOT approved either.

Comment

Im going to run non DOT tires on my trike. So Im looking for trouble.

I think the last thing theyll check is your lights, especially when your bike is exempt from having turn signals.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbash 27 View Post
                  Im going to run non DOT tires on my trike. So Im looking for trouble.

I think the last thing theyll check is your lights, especially when your bike is exempt from having turn signals.
                  Its an 83, not exempt Not here in NH anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by dig dug mx6 View Post
                    DOT is just a guideline as far as I'm concered. I am running aftermarket non dot lights as signals. I also plan on putting on stainless lines which I believe are not DOT approved either.
                    Some states you can get away with things like that. But here in NH we have to have state inspections and the laws are listed in my first post. I dunno if they will pass

Comment

Alot of states, 85 and older are exempt for turn signals.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbash 27 View Post
                        Alot of states, 85 and older are exempt for turn signals.
                        Then I need to move Here the law is:

CHAPTER 266 EQUIPMENT OF VEHICLES - 266:42 - Required by law unless manufactured prior to January 1, 1973.

Comment

In Texas, unless it's changed recently, like yesterday...
                          Turn Signals are not required on motorcycles, but if they are installed they must function properly.
                          never been hit for a non DOT stamped lens, even though I have run some flush mounts on various bikes (flushmounts were purchased from the local dealer), w/o the DOT stamp...

Comment

Originally posted by Busafied View Post
                            In Texas, unless it's changed recently, like yesterday...
                            Turn Signals are not required on motorcycles, but if they are installed they must function properly.
                            never been hit for a non DOT stamped lens, even though I have run some flush mounts on various bikes (flushmounts were purchased from the local dealer), w/o the DOT stamp...
                            Well these bullets are pretty close to flush mount Thats the thing I hate most about NH they spend to much time protecting me from me :P

Comment

Originally posted by mortation View Post
                              Then I need to move Here the law is:

CHAPTER 266 EQUIPMENT OF VEHICLES - 266:42 - Required by law unless manufactured prior to January 1, 1973.

Are you sure thats not just for cars? Here in NY we have state inspections too. Specifically for motorcycles, 85 and older doesnt require turn signals, 72 and older do not require front brakes.

Comment

Working...
                              X