Are you down with D.O.T.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tarbash 27 View Post
    Are you sure thats not just for cars? Here in NY we have state inspections too. Specifically for motorcycles, 85 and older doesnt require turn signals, 72 and older do not require front brakes.
    Yea thats for bikes, cars have to be much older to pass with no signals

Comment

I installed these on my bike and then used the bike to pass my class 5 (mc) test. Nobody said anything.

New flushmounts.

Comment

Ya want to hear some real stupid bike laws? In MN, only one brake is required, and it can be either front or rear..........You see a lot of chopped bikes with the long forks running around with no front brake.

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
          Ya want to hear some real stupid bike laws? In MN, only one brake is required, and it can be either front or rear..........You see a lot of chopped bikes with the long forks running around with no front brake.
          NH Only requires one brake too :P

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
            Which do you think is worse? Your stupid MN law or the Massachusetts inspection regulation that requires antique motorcycles (yeah even a 1916 harley which was manufactured with only a rear brake) to meet DOT braking standards set in 1980.

I'd rather see sensible laws and regulations that require no more or less than what the manufacture sold it with.

Comment

Originally posted by diesel View Post
              Which do you think is worse? Your stupid MN law or the Massachusetts inspection regulation that requires antique motorcycles (yeah even a 1916 harley which was manufactured with only a rear brake) to meet DOT braking standards set in 1980.

I'd rather see sensible laws and regulations that require no more or less than what the manufacture sold it with.
              That's also a stupid law. When I was going on and off base all the time, I found some really stupid DOD laws to be the case also. A nearly antique auto that was manufactured with only 1 tail light and no turn signals had to be refitted with all the above and seat belts as well in order to be legal to drive on base.........

Comment

According to the dealer; since the new GSXR's are fitted with a removable brake light, turn signal, and license plate holder for the track and the most common mod for new bikes being the undertail fender eliminator kit, I asked why manufactures don't just build the bikes with the flush mount signals, recessed plate brackets, and huggers instead of fenders; I was told it was because of DOT regulations. Apparently, the turn signals should be 18 inches apart which usually isn't the case with fender elimnator undertail kits. Don't quote me on the distance though. It may be something like 16 or 20 but I'm pretty sure he said 18. I'll take his word for it but there are generally a lot of things you can get away with on a bike when it comes to DOT regulations or state laws.

For instance, there is a module out that will flash your brake light several times when you hit the brakes to warn people behind you that you are slowing down since bikes are generally disregarded on the roadways. In Ohio however, these are illegal because only emergency personnel are permitted to have a flashing red light equiped on their vehicle other than turn signals. But a cop would have to be a real prick to right a fix it ticket for something like this that is obviously designed to increase the safety of the rider.

On the same not though, turn signals that don't stick out as far could be written up for a fix it ticket because they generally aren't as safe as the DOT regulation of 18 inches apart. It all depends on the person writing the ticket or giving the inspection.

Comment

Working...
                X