Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Handlebars and a Fairing - getting better!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cruzr View Post
    Yeah, I like the naked look, too, but I don't like the way it feels to ride a naked bike for very long! Maybe I'm a wimp...and if that's the case, I'll gladly own that! :-D
    Who said anything about riding a naked bike? I was talking about riding a bike naked.

Oops, sorry, wrong forum!

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
      Who said anything about riding a naked bike? I was talking about riding a bike naked.

Oops, sorry, wrong forum!

I was afraid that's what you really meant! 8-[

Comment

Um, yeah, not likely. Unless there are some really confused paparazzi in town who sneak up on me before I can beat 'em down, you're not likely to see me in any photos. I'm extraordinarily un-photogenic! \\/

No, we didn't have to change any cable lengths. Some of the cables are "longer" now but they can be tucked in under the fairing without pinching or crimping them. The throttle cable curves out but it doesn't bother me, I don't think it's that noticeable - or at least, it's fine IMHO.
        Got any suitable models handy??

Thanks for the info. If there are no cable or line mods I might think about this bar mod myself....
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I switched my bars to superbike bars, and didn't modify cable lengths either. Worked fine. just had some extra cable routed around... its more of an appearance thing. That being said, I am going to order custom cables this year to make up the difference, cuz my cables need replacing anyway.

Comment

I just took a quick look but didn't see a model number or anything like that. I've also got the original exhaust. It looks like I might have to remove the exhaust to get to the oil filter, so if that's the case, I'll look more closely for anything that might be useful.

You planning on installing the original exhaust? Is it in good shape? I need a new one for my project, and may be willing to take that off your hands for you, if you want it out of your garage.

Comment

Thanks, y'all!

I will definitely be exploring seat cover options. I'm rather "crafty" (not a reference to a Beastie Boys song! \\/) and may be able to do something that will get me by. I've recovered some of my own furniture over the years due to lack of funds, so I might be able to figure something out with my seat, too. Can't hurt to try!

I got the fairing from 8track. I'm sure he or Ninja have mentioned how he got it but I don't recall.....I'll check. I like the new seating position very much! Feels really natural - like riding a bicycle! :-D It's definitely a more sporty position and it might fuel my "need for speed" a little too much for my own good! LOL

Vance and Hines 4 into 1 exhaust.
              That fairing looks exactly like mine which is a Lockhart Phillips vintage 1/4 fairing. My question is how did you get that fairing to fit the huge GS 8" headlight? Did you do some cutting? Mine was designed to only fit a 7" headlight.

Comment

Working...
              X