Media blasting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Media blasting?

Hey. My aluminum is in rather sorry condition. I used etching mag wheel cleaner and steel wool on a bike in the past which I found to be difficult to contain. Has anyone done any media blasting on their motors? What type of media have you used? Have you found it easy to keep it shiny? Any other tips or tricks? Please offer my your insight. Is there a better alternative to a beautiful mirror polish? Thanks!

Media blasting will make aluminum pretty hard to shine up afterwards. It will get it nice a clean though. I have used glass beads to clean a lot of aluminum that I will be painting afterward, or wanted a clean grey look. If your going to polish, your best bet is to get yourself some wet dry sandpaper (400 - 1200 grit) some rubbing compound, and some polishing compound. Start with the corse stuff and work your way up. Its tedious, but I think its worth it. You could start with 220, if your aluminum is really mucked up, but its probably not that bad.

Here's where I started

This is what my cases look like now

Comment

You rock!

Thanks, my man. I appreciate the insight.

Comment

I have media blasted several parts on my bike. You can get them polished but it is a ton of work. I really don't recommend it if you intend to polish the parts afterwards. That being said, you will get a very uniform, clean matte finish that some may find nice. I know I like it. I hate polishing parts. I prefer to ride.

Comment

Get yourself a bench grinder and swap the wheels for buffing/polishing ones.

Works a treat and you can polish parts in about 10% the time.

Just gotta be careful to always run the buffing wheels 'away' from the edge or you will wear the part at high speed (can be quite dangerous).

Just like any other power tool though - treat it with respect and it wont bite.

Tip: if you buy a bench grinder to make a buffing machine, buy a pedstal as well. It makes it SO much easier when you can get to it from all angles. Much easier than having it bench mounted.

Comment

Saw this thread and thought the "media" was blasting our beloved Zukis. How dare them? Sorry, carry on...

Comment

Working...
            X