'85 GS700EF Handlebars and rear wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'85 GS700EF Handlebars and rear wheel

Has anyone mod'ed an '85 GS700E? I need to find info about changing the handlebars to clip on like style. I also want to change the rear wheel to a wider one. I've bben told a katana rear wheel may bolt on.
    Thanks in advance to anyone with this knowlwedge.

Originally posted by smoovmoovs View Post
    Has anyone mod'ed an '85 GS700E? I need to find info about changing the handlebars to clip on like style. I also want to change the rear wheel to a wider one. I've bben told a katana rear wheel may bolt on.
    Thanks in advance to anyone with this knowlwedge.
    I have had success with putting "early" 1981-1983 Katana clip-ons onto my 83 GS1100E.
    I did have to get the upper clamp but works out nice.
    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Originally posted by crag antler View Post
      I have had success with putting "early" 1981-1983 Katana clip-ons onto my 83 GS1100E.
      I did have to get the upper clamp but works out nice.
      I had those on my 750, with them above the stock upper tripple tree. Yes the Katana wheel is a bolt on swap, I've posted about it in the performance mods section, do a search and you'll find it. (look on page 2) BTW, oldschoolGS happens to have two wheels for sale in the f/s section, he is an excellent seller and source for info too. '85 and '86 GS1150 rears are wider and look exactly like the stock wheels.
      Last edited by kingofvenus; 03-23-2007, 07:48 PM. Reason: adding more info
      Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Originally posted by kingofvenus View Post
        I had those on my 750, with them above the stock upper tripple tree. Yes the Katana wheel is a bolt on swap, I've posted about it in the performance mods section, do a search and you'll find it. (look on page 2) BTW, oldschoolGS happens to have two wheels for sale in the f/s section, he is an excellent seller and source for info too. '85 and '86 GS1150 rears are wider and look exactly like the stock wheels.
        I could of used the stock 1100 upper but I wanted the smooth look of the Kat tree.
        A big diff compared to the stock bars\\/
        Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
        2000 Kawasaki Concours
        Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Originally posted by crag antler View Post
          I could of used the stock 1100 upper but I wanted the smooth look of the Kat tree.
          A big diff compared to the stock bars\\/
          Yeah, it didn't look the greatest but it worked ok, the stock bars on mine were crappy too. But I REALLY love the gsx600f bars that are on it now.
          Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

I am running a 93 katana rear wheel on mine. Not Exactly a direct bolt in though. You'll also need the Kats rear caliper and mount, the GS's rear roter is larger and the the mount is slightly thick at the axle. Currently running 130/70-17 on the rear with a 100/70-16 (stock front rim for now) will swap to a 17 up front when I'm finished making caliper brakets for the Kat 4-piston calipers( my anti-dive actually works so I'm keeping the orig forks unless I luck up and find a set of Gamma forks just laying around). Don't have an answer on clip-ons though my '83 750es has an old set from Telefix but they dont make them any more and the late model 600 Kats had larger diameter fork stanchions so I'd have reservations about using them with stock forks. Oh by the way going to the 70 series rubber made a huge difference in cornering transitions.

Comment

Allright, so I will probably have to look into getting a complete front end from another bike to get the right clip-on set up. Are there any rear ends (swing arms and wheel and all) that bolt up?:-D

Comment

How big do you want to go out back? By using stock arm, late Kat (89-92 Gixxer) wheel, late Kat caliper and mount, late 750 Kat brake torque arm(modify to fit stock arm) you can fit up to a 140/70-17 I know it doesn't sound like a big jump from oem rear tire size but believe me the improvements modern tire design give in this set up anything more would probably be more work then its worth given mods needed to gain needed clearence on the chain side. Up front any Suzuki sportbike front end should work, triples and all, without much more than bearing match/swap (not positive on very late model Gixxer though check with OldSkoolSUZUKI.info lots of info ther)

Comment

I have been working over my GS700 for a year or two now. I have some pictures posted here:

I got a set of clip-ons from a late gsxr, I can't remember the exact year; somewhere in the 2000-2004 range. I was able to solve the difference in the fork diameter with the help of a local machinist. I asked him to make me up some collars that are my fork diameter on the inside dimension and the gsxr diameter of the outside dimension. Then, since the clip-ons squeeze the forks I cut a slice in the spacers. The slice allows the spacers to crush down with the clip-ons, squeezing the forks.

In the first picture you can see the spacer in between my stock fork and the gsxr clip-on. You can also see how the slice is the same as the one in the clip-on.

Here is another shot:

I haven't had any problems with them coming lose in about 5K miles since I installed them. Although, for a little added security I would like to machine another piece that would allow me to thread a bolt through the clip-ons into the upper triple clamp like the stockers do. But, to use the through bolt I would have to turn the bars at too sharp an angle for my preference. Again, you can see both the eye in the gsxr clip-ons and the threaded hole in the top of the upper triple clamp turned about 20 degrees away from each other.

That part was easy. The tricky part was getting the cabling to work. The choke I haven't quite figured out yet; I still have to open the choke at the carb and use the thumb switch to hold it in place.I can roll it off with the switch, but it doesn't pull it on. Also, the late model gsxr's use a push-pull throttle setup, which means two cables. Just install the stock throttle cable in the "pull" position and leave the other cable off. The springs on the cab will take care of returning the throttle. Just use the stock clutch cable, that one is plug and play.

Then you have to take care of the wiring since the plugs are different shapes, but it is made a little easier since most of the colors of the wires match on both the gsxr and the original clip-ons.

Comment

richard your bike is ill!!! did you get the clip ons with everything all ready on 'em?
                    my clutch cable broke yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                    X