Check out my new GS1000 mods!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check out my new GS1000 mods!!!

Heres some pics of what Ive been doing with my evenings in the garage...SS front lines for $95. Also I've deleted the passenger pegs and chain guard brackets. Im still thinking about a custom chain guard but I think Ill leave it off because I dont ride in the rain and so far its not spraying grease even though its been into triple digits. Im thinking half street fighter; half cooley repli What do you think? Future mods will be pod filters, drilled rear rotor, and 45 tooth rear sprocket (current is 41 :-| ) This bike is a lot of fun.

more pics...

heres more...

Comment

pics...

another...

Comment

couple more...

sorry guess I need to learn how to post them all at once :-D .

Comment

Last one...

here it is;

Comment

very nice, makes me want chop off my passenger peg bracekets.

Comment

very nice bike. i like the look without the chain gaurd. i would do that but i'd be afraid of my wifes feet getting cought up in the chain...

Comment

yep

Yep, I only did it because my wife never rides ; and I never take passengers on it. Hey Tarbash; is that pipe really loud?...is it hollow or is there a shortend baffle in it? I like the way that looks.

Comment

Very nice. What kind of mods do you have in mind to turn it half and half Wes Cooley rep and 'fighter?

Comment

hmmmm..

Well I dont want to do anything too different; I like the classic look. I will definetly someday do the white stripe down the side when I can afford a nice complete paint job done by a proffesional. When this happens I will also do the frame reinforcing that the cooley bike did, mostly adding gussets to the frame and a front crossbrace. I will also replace the heavy stock seat with a single person seat that looks like stock but is hollow in half of it for storage and weight savings.I dont like the cooley head light fairing very much. so Ill stay stock there... I only want a little more power too...my other bike is a busa so I get my speed kicks that way. However the GS gets ridden more because tires are cheap and you can wide open throttle it in many more situations without fearing traction loss or jail time. I guess Im not going that much street fighter. Other mods to add...someday...progressive suspension, upgraded ignition, blacked out engine, bored engine w/larger pistons, ss rear brake lines, and a drilled rear rotor. Probably more stuff too but mainly performence based. Do you know of a set of foot pegs that will fit my bike but are newer and lighter(aluminum)fit my old busa pegs but ruined them when I ground them down too much :? . Also right now I have the stock engine sprocket and a 41 tooth rear, what would be a good combo that would give me more get up up...lookin for a top speed of about 110mph in 6th at redline.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukfan78 View Post
                      sorry guess I need to learn how to post them all at once :-D .[ATTACH]1911[/ATTACH]
                      hey.where did you get those all black 4 into 1's? i want those for my gs 1000.How much were they?
                      future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Its paint.

Thats flat black vht header paint. I sanded the chrome kerker pipe pretty hard then applied the paint. It chips off very slowly but its so easy to take the pipe off and keep re spraying it. Ive had it 2 years and painted it twice. However I never ride in rain, and Im very carful not too scrape tools across it will working on it.

Comment

That's uncanny. I was asking yesterday if people thought I should do the very same mod to my bike. General consensus was no but having seen yours i'm liking it a lot. Really cleans up that back end. Especially when you have abandoned taking passengers!!

Makes the swing arm look really spindly compared to more modern stuff though....now one of those deep braced Kwak ZRX arms would look mean on there.......

Comment

Well I dont want to do anything too different; I like the classic look. I will definetly someday do the white stripe down the side when I can afford a nice complete paint job done by a proffesional. When this happens I will also do the frame reinforcing that the cooley bike did, mostly adding gussets to the frame and a front crossbrace. I will also replace the heavy stock seat with a single person seat that looks like stock but is hollow in half of it for storage and weight savings.I dont like the cooley head light fairing very much. so Ill stay stock there... I only want a little more power too...my other bike is a busa so I get my speed kicks that way. However the GS gets ridden more because tires are cheap and you can wide open throttle it in many more situations without fearing traction loss or jail time. I guess Im not going that much street fighter. Other mods to add...someday...progressive suspension, upgraded ignition, blacked out engine, bored engine w/larger pistons, ss rear brake lines, and a drilled rear rotor. Probably more stuff too but mainly performence based. Do you know of a set of foot pegs that will fit my bike but are newer and lighter(aluminum)fit my old busa pegs but ruined them when I ground them down too much :? . Also right now I have the stock engine sprocket and a 41 tooth rear, what would be a good combo that would give me more get up up...lookin for a top speed of about 110mph in 6th at redline.
                            Good technical on the Yoshimura GS1000 including closeups of the frame bracing here: http://www.slcelectronics.com/GS1000...icle/index.htm

Best way I've seen to mount newer rearset footpegs (at least the shifter, I'm using a 2004 GSXR 1000 shifter for my project) is to remove your shock shifter and footpeg. Then cut a triangular piece of plate aluminum, and drill two holes in it so you can bolt it to the stock footpeg mounting holes. With that done, mock up the shifter, and then drill holes in the plate for the mounting holes on the shifter, and bolt it up. The 2004 GSXR 1000 shifter will fit right on the shift shaft of your GS.
                            Using a newer rearset for the rear brake may be a bit trickier, as you'd have to figure out if you can get the GSXR pedal to work with your GS master cylinder. I haven't tried this as I'm using a 2006 GSXR 1000 brake rearset, rear brake and swingarm.

Do you want more top end speed, or more off the line acceleration? The stock ratio on these bikes is 2.8, with 15 teeth in the front, and 42 in the back. Assuming that you have a 15 tooth sprocket up front right now, you're sitting at a 2.73 ratio with that 41 tooth rear sprocket. This would give you a bit more top end, but sacrifices your off the line acceleration a bit. It may take a bit of experimentation with your gearing to get the result you want.

Hope this helps.
                            Last edited by Guest; 04-03-2007, 11:36 AM.

Comment

I dont like the cooley head light fairing very much. so Ill stay stock there... I only want a little more power too...my other bike is a busa so I get my speed kicks that way. However the GS gets ridden more because tires are cheap and you can wide open throttle it in many more situations without fearing traction loss or jail time. I guess Im not going that much street fighter. Other mods to add...someday...progressive suspension, upgraded ignition, blacked out engine, bored engine w/larger pistons, ss rear brake lines, and a drilled rear rotor. Probably more stuff too but mainly performence based. Do you know of a set of foot pegs that will fit my bike but are newer and lighter(aluminum)fit my old busa pegs but ruined them when I ground them down too much :? . Also right now I have the stock engine sprocket and a 41 tooth rear, what would be a good combo that would give me more get up up...lookin for a top speed of about 110mph in 6th at redline.
                              Nice mods.

The cooley fairing is the essence of the "S" model. Especially the fake ones.
                              AFAIK, the 78 GS1000 has 5 gears. At least mine does. I had 15/40 sprockets on last summer and managed 112mph (180km/h) with revs to go.

Comment

Working...
                              X