Rider backrest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rider backrest

I've looked at the different threads for the backrest using the search option, but was only able to find info about passenger backrests. Has anybody ever found or made a backrest for the rider? I am kind of spoiled from the 1200 Gold Wing I owned & was wondering if i was possible to build a backrest frame from tubular steel & then mounting the backrest to it, or is there already a backrest that can be purchased that could be modified to be made to fit my 78 GS1000? Any thoughts?

Backrest

A company called KG made backrests for classic Suzukis'. I believe if you are diligent you can pick one up off ebay with a little work. some of them have an adjustable backrest for the driver. here's a peek at mine, it is the non adjustable type though.

good luck!!
    1981 GS750L (sold)
    1981 GS750L (current)
    1978 Yamaha RD400 (RD = Race Development)
    1981 Honda CT70 (86+ MPG at WOT most of the time)
    1983 GS1100GL (needs work: update, gone to a new home)
    1956 Simplex (with a TS250 motor)
    1985 GS1150E (Hammer Time!!)
    1998 1200 Bandit (Rattler)
    1980 GS1100L (Janice)
    Do I continue?

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Col Jeff Cooper
    e tan, e epi tan

Comment

Thanks. Does it fasten to the frame or somewhere else?

Comment

I picked up off Ebay a hard sided roll bag that can be mounted either on the sissy bar rack or on the passenger seat. If you mount it on the passenger seat, You can attach a back rest and lumbar support for the rider.

Seeing how I'm still working on getting my 650 up and running this spring, I haven't had a chance to actually test it out. When I'm up and running, I'll let you know how it feels.

The site it originally came from was www.bikersfriend.com

Comment

This is the homemade rack someone made for an 83 1100E. I love it. The sissy bar comes off in 10 seconds with some cotter pins.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I had a KG on the GS1100L that I found at a bone yard, a little tweaked, but serviceable. The adjustable backrest mounted to the luggage rack that came with it, although I've seen other bikes that didn't have the rack and still had adjustable back rests. The driver can't use it if there is a passenger tho.

Comment

I have an adjustable backrest on my 80' 1000L but I don't see a brand name stamped on it anywhere. It has a wing nut on each side that you loosen and then slide the backrest forward or back. I love mine! They were produced so keep looking you just might find one.

Dennis

Comment

I also have the adjustable backrest with luggage rack on the back. I love it also. Just like dlancer said, you untighten the wingnuts and slide it forward for the driver. I bought it on ebay after looking for a while. They are out there and I think mine was called universal one when I saw it on ebay.

Comment

Working...
                X