Chrome polish for head pipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chrome polish for head pipes?

I've searched and found the thread about Blue Job polish. I am wondering if anyone can post their experience using Simichrome polish. Does it work effectively on chrome pipes that have blued? I have a new V & H on the way so I want to get my ducks in line on this issue beforehand. I've read that you should clean and apply polish to new pipes before running the engine to avoid blueing.

Rj

even though this is not a wealth of info for you...I've used simichrome polish for years, however I've only known it as an aluminum polish, which is what I've used it as. I started using it about 18 years ago when I got into building and wrenching on bikes and still love it.

Comment

I use mothers chrome polish and it works great.you can get it at wally world too.Also try mothers aluminum and mag polish.I sound like a damn commercial, don't I !!!!!

Comment

header pipes

If you want to keep the pipes from blueing , kreem makes a product that coats the inside with a ceramic coating. I have just done a mac 4 into 1 and although I haven't put alot of miles on it yet, I've seen absoulutely no indication of discoloration. I've had several other pipes, and all would have been showing somthing by now. Just a suggestion. By the way if you decide to go that route. follow the instructions about first cleaning inside of pipe.

Comment

GSFarmer, the Kreem Blue Shield sounds like it just might be the ticket. I googled it and found other favorable reviews. Did you bake your pipe after applying the coating?

Rj

Comment

header pipes

Actually I made a mistake by not using the right procedure to prep the pipe. they tell you clean inside well to remove any grease or oily film. I mistakenly thought that being a new pipe , it was clean. WRONG. When I applied the first coating, I could tell it was not coating evenly. I then took it into my sons auto repair shop , and filled it up with brake klean which he buys by the 55 gallon drum. I left it sit for a couple hour, while running errands in town. After that it worked okay. You pour the product in to coat the inside. I did this three times, letting it sit beside the wood stove to dry inbetween times. I just put this bike together and haven't ridden real hard for an extended time yet!! But initiallly it looks good so far. You can only do this with a new pipe, there are no second chances, because the coating will never stick, once you have run the exaust. You can probably go to a repair shop and buy the brake clean, I don't think it's that expensive. I will be able to tell more after getting more miles on the machine. Hope this helps, if any more questions feel free to ask. Thanks

Comment

GS Farmer, thanks for the advice. Yes my pipe is new, it's on it's way here somewhere on a Fedex truck as we speak.
              I have a few cans of Brake Clean in the shed. Although I was thinking of using carb spray or acetone. I'm going to order some of this Blue Shield. By the time my pipe, jet kit and new air filter gets here, it should be here as well.

Rj

Comment

If your pipe is turning blue doesn't that indicate a lean condition (and thus, excess heat?)? I'd fix the problem, not the symptom...

Comment

What about Rusting Chrome

Does anyone have a solution for Chrome Pipes at the headers with surface rust?

Short of replacing them is there any hope of getting back that chrome shine? Are there any magical rust removing gels or simple at home chrome repair cleaners?

The surface rust is primarily on the 2 inner pipes with less on the 2 outer pipes of my 79 GS750. The rust starts near the headers and fades after about a foot from the header. I am Trying to turn my Classic into a Classy Show bike.
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-12-2007, 12:18 PM. Reason: Photo Description

Comment

Yeah there's probably a boatload of products that claim to remove rust from chrome. It's been my experience that once you let chrome get rusty, it does'nt really matter what you use to bring it back to life. It will never be the same again. I have used Turtle Wax Chrome Polish with decent results.

Rj

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
                      If your pipe is turning blue doesn't that indicate a lean condition (and thus, excess heat?)? I'd fix the problem, not the symptom...
                      In my case, it's a new pipe that is'nt even on the bike yet. It's more of a preventative measure at this point. My factory pipes are not blue at all.

Rj

Comment

My experience has been that most stock systems are double wall construction and blueing is not as much a concern, although you will sometimes see stock pipes turn blue also, indicating a lean condition or a motor that has been run fairly hard for a long period of time or both. Most aftermarket headers are of single wall construcion, hence quite a bit lighter than stock. Its the single wall construction that makes them more prone .to the blueing problem. Obviously a lean mixture will contribute to the problem.
                        Last edited by Guest; 04-11-2007, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X