83 1100ED Red Nail Polish: near Perfect match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 1100ED Red Nail Polish: near Perfect match

Had some scratches on side covers and tank....some right down to the base material.......and sharp leading edge of front fender....lots of buffing there over the years....

Found a nail polish...perfect match from a foot away....
    Sally Hansen no chip 10 day nail polish product number 4841-03 tulip. Tulip...Yikes!
    Bought it at Shop Ko in Provo Utah.....3 bucks. Target carries it too.

The tank and front fender were the easiest to do....I swabbed the scratches with a Q tip wet with brake cleaner.....base color on tank was white or silver.....white showing through on fender......the nail polish is quite thick....I applied it with a tooth pick in the narrow scratches and with the brush in cap for a couple of the wider ones and on leading edge of fender.....covered perfectly with 1 application....let set over night....an hour is easily enough...since the nail polish was higher than the original finish....I buffed it flush with plastic polish......absolutely a better than 95% match......from a foot away...looks perfect.....The side covers are black material and to cover a couple of scratches ....2 coats did the job........

For sure big scratches or areas where paint has peeled....ain't going to match well...no 'pearl' in color. But the Red is perfect. Widest area I covered is 1/8 by 2 inches or so...front fender leading edge....tank and side cover scratches were less than a sixteenth wide...couple were an inch long though. And some rock chips on front of tank 1/8 round......

I am ultra pleased with the result. Tried Testors model paints....found nothing even close.....

That Rocks !! I need it.

Although the 83 red seems redder than the 82 red. Comments ? Just compare our avatars. I have not seen them side by side but I bet someone has.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

What nail polish do you recommend for an 82' Champagne 1100 :-D

Nai polish is an old touchup trick. Thanks for the reminder.
      Last edited by Guest; 04-16-2007, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Hi Denydog.......Well...Champagne....but of course :-)) Take a side cover with ya into the store.... Yer ride is a sweet one...and I really enjoyed the pics and story related to your ride earlier this year...ferry and curves and chuckanut drive stuff...As a former Vancouver BC resident....I rode many of those same roads back in the day...and the drizzle was seldom a deal breaker. Good stuff.

And Bonanzadave....82 is mucho different...more plum maybe....but fer sure....the nail polish selection is such you will find a match.

Comment

book matches=touch-up brush!

You can pull a paper match out of the book and use the end as a brush.........done it many time. The torn out end!

Comment

Shame blue nail polish isn't so popular....

Dan
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
            X