Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to mod, GS650GL, Need Advice

Hey all,

So I have an 82 GS650GL that I have had for 2 or so weeks now. I just got it running like a top and am looking to ad some modifications to it. I'm not sure what I want to do, or what I can do. I'm looking for some advice on modifications, either appearance or performance, that I can do to my 650. Also, any links to websites that offer aftermarking mods or anything of the sort would be helpful. Thanks.

Good Luck. I have the exact model, and there's very little available in the aftermarket. Turnsignals, couple of different exhausts (from Motad, and MAC), and hmmm, let me see, thats about it. I suppose you could get rid of the airbox, and graft on some universal K & N's, Dynojet make a jet kit for the BS32SS (the carbs). Check out my thread here...

My bike is not done...yet. Getting close though.

Comment

Mike,

Thanks for the info. That is kinda what I thought. Can you tell me a little about the jet kit. I just got done rebuilding the carbs, so I am familiar with working on them. I have heard that a new exhaust may be needed when you put a jet kit in. What other work is involved? Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Skyboy8950 View Post
        Mike,

Thanks for the info. That is kinda what I thought. Can you tell me a little about the jet kit. I just got done rebuilding the carbs, so I am familiar with working on them. I have heard that a new exhaust may be needed when you put a jet kit in. What other work is involved? Thanks again!
        If you go to individual pod filters and dont go beyond a stage 1 kit you can run stock exhausts.
        future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyboy8950 View Post
          Mike,

I haven't done the jet kit. If you post in the Tech or Performance section, there are many people who have. I chose to keep the stock exhaust and airbox for now. The bike is plenty fast enough for me, and I have not got it running quite good enough to start changing the intake profile. You have to be sure the bike is running perfect before you start chasing your jetting. Otherwise, from what I hear, it can be a very frustrating process.

Comment

Appearance mods.
            well.....................
            Get yourself one of those dyna glide rear fenders and you'll be all set.
            More aerodynamic, what with the upturned tail . More down pressure.

Comment

I'm working on resto'ing that exact same make & model myself. Good luck - start building good relationships* on this board, trolling ebay, and develop a good rapport with your local metric bike mechanic. Only a few days ago did I score a gas tank that *isn't* dented, which means I can finally think about painting. Except for the left side body panel. I'm still looking for one of those.

Next is the exhaust systems, so thanks for those links! I'd like to tune my baby a little louder. "look out! I'm comin' down the block!" :-D

And, +1 on what Mike H said about carbs.

Good luck! Post pics!

Comment

Thanks guys. Great advice. I'll keep lookin around and checking out the scene.

Comment

Hey, Skyboy, welcome to the wonderful world of motorcycle ownership! I've got some advice about modifications. Performance and appearance.

Take your time.

If that bike is running good why not...RIDE IT!

Don't ask a buncha guys like us what to do, find out first hand. Do you need more power? Do you need to change the pipes or carb jets. Do you really feel the need to do all this stuff? How do you know? How many miles have you put on it in two weeks of ownership?
                  If this is your first bike what are you comparing it to??? If you bought the bike as just a mechanical project, well, OK, work on it and tell me to shut up. But, doggone, bro, get it out there in the wind and enjoy it for a while. Let the bike talk to you, it will tell you everything you want to know about it and your relationship with it. Just give it a chance.
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-23-2007, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor View Post
                    Hey, Skyboy, welcome to the wonderful world of motorcycle ownership! I've got some advice about modifications. Performance and appearance.

Take your time.

If that bike is running good why not...RIDE IT!

Don't ask a buncha guys like us what to do, find out first hand. Do you need more power? Do you need to change the pipes or carb jets. Do you really feel the need to do all this stuff? How do you know? How many miles have you put on it in two weeks of ownership?
                    If this is your first bike what are you comparing it to??? If you bought the bike as just a mechanical project, well, OK, work on it and tell me to shut up. But, doggone, bro, get it out there in the wind and enjoy it for a while. Let the bike talk to you, it will tell you everything you want to know about it and your relationship with it. Just give it a chance.
                    +1 to jimcor

When I picked up my 650, it didn't run, and I had never ridden a bike before, aside from the 250's at MSF training. I got it running, and before I did anything, cept make it safe, put 800 miles on it. The first winter, I knew it needed better brakes, so, I found a dual disc front end, and swapped it out. I also cleaned up the rest of the bike, and painted the gages, headlight bucket, etc. Then I rode it for about 5,000 more miles the next season, and that when I decided that I like the bike well enough to do a complete resto, and make it fit my mind's image of what it should look like. I still have not found it necessary to do any power mods. All my performance mods have been to handling and stopping. It goes plenty well enough.

Comment

I'm totally feeling that. I guess I am just getting to know the bike. Mine is in pretty good condition, so fixing more on it (other than the carbs I just finished) is limited. I just like to tinker and want to do more to it. I'm sure I'll find more to do. Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                      X