Iridescent polished aluminum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iridescent polished aluminum

I was cleaning up the '78 after getting it running. The engine covers were looking sad (2 winters unconditioned storage). So I decided to swap them out with the '80 pieces since they are already polished. These have been sitting on the shelf for a while. Since the wife wasn't home, and I was feeling a bit lazy, I threw them in the dishwasher to clean them up.

Now I have real clean and shiney iridescent polished alluminum parts.

What caused it? (Heat, Cascade, Jet-Dri??)

What to do since I don't want the iridescent look. I don't have any Mothers or anything like that here. Chrome polish didn't do the trick . Just take them back to the polisher?

Steve

Diswashing detergent is caustic and can damage aluminum. You're lucky that you didn't have worse results. You should be able to polish it back to a normal shiny finish.

Comment

It is a very common phenomenon. It's caused by a combination of heat, chemicals and metal. In this case it is dishwashing powder, hot water and your engine covers.

It is a common trick for jewelers to use to get colours into sculpted metal like silver or bronze. I have used it in creating sculptures in the past.

The good news is that it is only on the outside few microns of metal. Hit them with 600 grit wet sand paper and then polish them and they will come up good as new.

Hint: Always use a small drop of dishwashing liquid or shampoo in your water when 'wet rubbing' and your paper will last longer. It also makes rubbing easier.

Comment

Thank you gentlmen.
        On the plus side, the oil level sight glass is clean as a whistle.

Comment

Question is....

How do the dishes look now-a-days now that the oil from the nooks and crannies have been washed out to take up a new residence in your dish washer...lol. :shock: [-o< :-D

Comment

You don't have any Mother's? :shock: Shame on you.

Other choices can include SimiChrome, Never-Dull, and many others that are available in the auto-supply aisles at Wally World. Another one that I have found somewhat recently is Diamond Brite Truck Box Polish. It can be found at Lowe's, right next to the shiny diamond-plate truck boxes. It's about $12-13 for an 8 oz bottle of liquid, but it's really good stuff. \\/

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

http://www.autosol.com/ - without doubt the best metal polish on the market. IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by Wheelie View Post
                I was cleaning up the '78 after getting it running. The engine covers were looking sad (2 winters unconditioned storage). So I decided to swap them out with the '80 pieces since they are already polished. These have been sitting on the shelf for a while. Since the wife wasn't home, and I was feeling a bit lazy, I threw them in the dishwasher to clean them up.

Now I have real clean and shiney iridescent polished alluminum parts.

What caused it? (Heat, Cascade, Jet-Dri??)

What to do since I don't want the iridescent look. I don't have any Mothers or anything like that here. Chrome polish didn't do the trick . Just take them back to the polisher?

Steve

got pictures?

Comment

Dishwasher detergent is mostly sodium carbonate and sodium percarbonate. It also has some surfactants to get water to sheet off of the dishes for spot-free drying. Another name for a mixture of sodium carbonate with sodium percarbonate is, oxyclean! If you wash water glasses for years in this mixture, you'll see that it eventually dulls even glass by etching it. This is harsh stuff!
                  sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Working...
                  X