headlight modulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

headlight modulator

After a 17 year hiatas from the street scene, I'm back in the saddle again. It took a while to become comfortable out on the roads again. I guess my biggest concern is being seen by the idiots and morons that clutter the highway and byways. The other day as my wife and I were headed to town in the car, I pulled on to the hiway, and way down the road,maybe three miles, I could see this flashing/blinking light coming at me. Got to say that it really caught my attention. As I watched it coming, at about two miles away I could clearly tell it was a bike. So I jumped on the net to see what I could learn, about modulators. Seems that some people find them annoying!!! HUMMMM That dose'nt sound all bad to me!!! I'm sure many motorcyclist that have had cars turning left in front of them, have probably found that to be annoying also!!!!! Anyway I am seriously considering the purchase of said device. Anybody had any experience with these?? Am I missing somthing here?? Any and all imputs apperciated. Just not quite ready to become an organ donor yet..!!

Check legality in your state. In WA they are illegal (I think). Something about only emergency vehicles are allowed to have blinking lights that aren't blinkers.

Comment

I have a headlight modulator on my GS1100GK. As per instructions, it's wired to the high beam, so it's only activated when the high beam is on. It also has a light-sensitive cell that allows it to shut itself down for night riding.

I've had this headlight modulator on my bike for several years now, and I like it. It definitely gets the attention of drivers out there. It also helps slowpokes out there in deciding to move to the right to let me go by them. This is particularly nice when leading a group of riders.

I like my headlight modulator. It's reliable, easy to install, and does what it's designed to do. Some folks may not like it, and will put down the use of one. That's fine. I like mine. I frankly don't give a d_mn if anyone, whether on two or four wheels, finds it annoying.

As far as I know, they're legal in all States and DC.

I got mine on eBay at an excellent price, a brand new unit still in the package. The brand I got is Kisan, Pathblazer model or something like that.
      Last edited by Guest; 04-25-2007, 05:32 PM.

Comment

I stand corrected. Headlight modulators are legal in WA, provided they meet certain criteria.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa View Post
          I have a headlight modulator on my GS1100GK. As per instructions, it's wired to the high beam, so it's only activated when the high beam is on. It also has a light-sensitive cell that allows it to shut itself down for night riding.

I've had this headlight modulator on my bike for several years now, and I like it. It definitely gets the attention of drivers out there. It also helps slowpokes out there in deciding to move to the right to let me go by them. This is particularly nice when leading a group of riders.

I like my headlight modulator. It's reliable, easy to install, and does what it's designed to do. Some folks may not like it, and will put down the use of one. That's fine. I like mine. I frankly don't give a d_mn if anyone, whether on two or four wheels, finds it annoying.

As far as I know, they're legal in all States and DC.

I got mine on eBay at an excellent price, a brand new unit still in the package. The brand I got is Kisan, Pathblazer model or something like that.
          What is the frequency of the blink?

Comment

I don't know the exact figure on the blinking rate. I remember reading somewhere that it's about 240 per minute, give or take 40. I've had my modulator for quite some time now, so I'm not sure what the literature says. Perhaps the website for Kisan may lead you to an exact answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa View Post
              I don't know the exact figure on the blinking rate. I remember reading somewhere that it's about 240 per minute, give or take 40. I've had my modulator for quite some time now, so I'm not sure what the literature says. Perhaps the website for Kisan may lead you to an exact answer.
              Thanks for the info. The website is at: http://www.kisantech.com. They have lots of other goodies too.

Comment

Originally posted by GS Farmer View Post
                After a 17 year hiatas from the street scene, I'm back in the saddle again. It took a while to become comfortable out on the roads again. I guess my biggest concern is being seen by the idiots and morons that clutter the highway and byways. The other day as my wife and I were headed to town in the car, I pulled on to the hiway, and way down the road,maybe three miles, I could see this flashing/blinking light coming at me. Got to say that it really caught my attention. As I watched it coming, at about two miles away I could clearly tell it was a bike. So I jumped on the net to see what I could learn, about modulators. Seems that some people find them annoying!!! HUMMMM That dose'nt sound all bad to me!!! I'm sure many motorcyclist that have had cars turning left in front of them, have probably found that to be annoying also!!!!! Anyway I am seriously considering the purchase of said device. Anybody had any experience with these?? Am I missing somthing here?? Any and all imputs apperciated. Just not quite ready to become an organ donor yet..!!

First of all...WELCOME BACK!!! \\/

Headlight modulators are legal and allowed in all 50 states by Federal regulation. Wording in the law also forbids states or local authorities to make them illegal. Many riders have said it is helpful to carry a copy of the regulation in case you are ever stopped and questioned about it.

Anybody had any experience with these??
                Yes. I have been using one or more for over 5 years, now. Had one on my Kawasaki Voyager, now have one on my Wing. Son has one on his Yamaha Venture Royale. Wife has one on her GS850L While we don't rely on the modulators entirely, we do consider them to be valuable tools to help assure our safety. (None of us has ever been stopped or questioned about them yet.)

All of our units are from Kisan, but they are different models. My Wing unit has connectors that are unique to the Wing. My wife's unit has a remote plug so it will fit inside the headlight bucket. My son's unit is the 'standard' model.

While they are good to have and use, I also find it necessary to use them courteously. Here is a gude to modulator etiquette. If you were to put hour meters on my ignition and modulator, you might find that, as much as I tend to use it, it might only be on about half the time. I treat it like there is an automatic controller that senses distance to the car ahead of me and speed. If I am riding under about 20 mph there is minimal danger. Also no sense in irritating a driver ahead of you while sitting at a light.

Kisan makes good units, but they are not cheap. One I have considered, but not yet tried is from Co-Magination. They have a combo deal that includes headlight and brake light modulators for less than the Kisan headlight unit.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

One of the things I would be concerned with is truck drivers confusing it with a common "flash to pass" when other drivers will flash lights to let them know the truck has cleared them. Another would be people slowing in your lane to wait & see if it's a cop/emergency vehicle , then being ****ed it's not & intentionally holding you up.

Comment

modulators

From what iv'e seen of them I don't believe they would be confused with that . They flash much faster!!

Comment

Originally posted by GS Farmer View Post
                      From what iv'e seen of them I don't believe they would be confused with that . They flash much faster!!
                      I agree with you, GS Farmer. There's no way one can confuse the flashing of a headlight modulator with anything else.

People who don't have a modulator on their bikes usually have a low opinion of them. I wouldn't pay much attention to any of their objections.

It sounds to me as if you're already sold on getting one. So, go get yourself one! You'll like it.

Comment

Originally posted by mixongw View Post
                        Thanks for the info. The website is at: http://www.kisantech.com. They have lots of other goodies too.
                        Yes they do, I'd be interested in their TireAlert system. Seems like one bell/whistle too many, but it does have that added application of performance monitoring.

Originally posted by rydermike View Post
                        One of the things I would be concerned with is truck drivers confusing it with a common "flash to pass" when other drivers will flash lights to let them know the truck has cleared them. Another would be people slowing in your lane to wait & see if it's a cop/emergency vehicle , then being ****ed it's not & intentionally holding you up.
                        Proper trucker etiquette isn't to flash the high beams to let them move over, but to flash the whole light. The modulators keep the lights switching between high and low beams. I know most of us can't turn the lights off entirely without modification but I'd rather zip past the trucker than to have them pull in front of me--wake turbulence isn't all that nice to be in. Most of the truckers trade 18 wheels for 2 when not working so they know all to well what we're talking about.

As for the holding you up part... so is born the California pass... right between lanes. (I don't subscribe to this method personally as I have a total lack of desire in becoming sandwich meat for the one time driver stupidity prevails. :twisted

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
                          Check legality in your state. In WA they are illegal (I think). Something about only emergency vehicles are allowed to have blinking lights that aren't blinkers.
                          i live in eastern wash and asked the state police and they said it was ok,i kept pulling people over and was worried about impersonating a officer call:?

Comment

It all sounds very interesting to me. I have seen several bikes with them over the years and I must say that they definitely get your attention. I wouldn't call them annoying though. Maybe I will look further at them. How much $$$ ??? Easy to install? Any problems asscociated with them? Thanks

Comment

Very easy to install, much easier than I expected. No problems at all. Mine has worked fine for some years now.

I got my Kisan on eBay. You can order directly from the Kisan website. You can find the link elsewhere in this thread.

Just today a slowpoke moved over for me to pass him.

Comment

Working...
                              X