1978 GS1000e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS1000e

I posted a picture of my 1978 GS1000e recently on the "Pics" thread and had some requests on the specifics of the bike so here you go: Enjoy:

Engine: Bored to 1085cc by Vance and Hines. Wiseco pistons. Compression ratio of 10.5:1. Reported HP (not dyno’d) 120

Ignition: Electronic Suzuki Factory Racing

Coils: Aftermarket high output, 25000 volts each

Transmission: 1980 close ratio

Oil Cooler: Borg Warner

Exhaust system: Hand built by Mike Velasco of Honda factory racing team. Repainted 2007 with high temperature paint.

Clutch: Vance and Hines welded clutch hub and basket. Barnett plates and heavy duty springs

Carbs: Mikuni 33 smoothbores

Rear Sets: From Italy, modded from Kawasaki set

Brakes: Front: 13” drilled rotors with Lockhart Racing Calipers with Ferado pads
    Rear: Stock (rebuilt 2007). Drilled rotors.
    Russell steel braided lines
    Converted to DOT 5 (system flushed and bled 2007)

Chassis: Stock with added bracing in swingarm pivot and battery box areas

Steering Damper: Kawasaki 7 position. Also front fork brace.

Shocks (Rear): Fox Superbike Road Race

Wheels: DID Light alloy wheels with stainless spokes. Powdercoated rims
    Front: 19”, Rear 17”

This bike is a real blast. My 83 1100 is getting upset because she is staying in the garage these days.

Thanks for visiting. If there is anything else, please let me know.

Niiiiiiiccce!

Comment

Very nice! Do you have any pics of the extra bracing you did? Also, is the head stock? How is it's performance compared to your 1100?
      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Renobruce,

I can send some better close ups of the bracing. Give me a couple days. This work was all done when the bike was new to convert immediately to a race bike in California so I didn't have to do a thing. The best way! It was then converted back to the street sometimes in 80-81 from what I was told by the PO. The performance difference to me lies more in the charactersistics of the smoothbores vs. stock carbs. Mid range to upper range on the 1000 you better be holding on! My 1100 was like that when I ran smoothbores on that one too.

Also, notice on the bottom picture, I meant to give you a plug on your oil pressure guage. Looks nice in black.

Comment

I barely noticed the pressure gauge... looks great!

I'm in the midst of doing a 78 GS1000 with similar mods.. 1085 kit, ported head, and VM29 Smoothbores. Can't wait to see how it performs! \\/
          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Yeah buddy, now that's a GS1000. Great mods and great look.

Comment

Yikes! That's a great looking bike. Did I help with some of the parts? My organ donor bike would be proud to know she helped contribute to your hotrod!

Comment

Tom, you bet! The cam covers are yours (although I can not mount the front right one until I slightly reposition the steering damper as the rod hits it at full turn). The front brake switch is yours. Still have your other parts in reserve. Thanks again for the great parts! It was a pleasure. John.

Comment

There aint never been a gs 1000 that looks better than yours.Awesome bike.
                  future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

I have not seen a 19", 17" wheel comb before.
                    Was that the racetrack set-up? Stock swingarm?
                    What size tires were you able to spoon onto those beauties?
                    What a hot rod! It looks great.
                    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                      I have not seen a 19", 17" wheel comb before.
                      Was that the racetrack set-up?
                      19" front, 17" rear is the stock size for the GS1000. He's got much nicer rims than stock though. \\/

Comment

On the two '78s i have they both have 19" front and 18" rear wheels. I thought they were the stock sizes.
                        The black rims, spokes and HUGE rotors do look great.
                        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Very Nice! Great paint job!!

GS1000S
                          78' GS1000EC
                          79' GS850GN
                          79' GS1000N
                          79' GS1000EN
                          81' GS1100EX

Comment

Fantastic job you did on bringing that old super bike back to life. I love what you did with it. Now about the wheel sizes. If my memory serves me the 19" and 17" were stock sizes for the cast wheel "E" model while 19" and 18" were standard on the wire wheel model as well I think some of the "S" models with cast wheels. The 18" cast wheel was the same as the one on the 750's.
                            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Hey, can I have your brakes lol!

I also have a 78 GS1000, 1080 MTC pistons, flowed head, stage 3 steet cams, only 28mm Kawa carbs, race pipe, 18" Akront spoked wheels front and rear. Clutch has been rebuilt a few times with stronger rivets and plates. Oil coolerr off a ZZR Kawa with a Yoshi adaptor. Off the road at the moment until I put in new engine gaskets as the rebuilt was done in 1984.

Good to see some more GS1000 out there

Comment

Working...
                              X