Re-foaming a seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-foaming a seat

Bike: '82 GS750E (pic to be posted shortly)

Problem: I believe the seat needs to be redone. Is it possible to put new foam on a seat to improve the comfort level? I'm new to motorcycles and not sure if this is possible or not. All I know is that the current seat results in a bruised, numb butt after 30 minutes of riding.

- Sparky

When I had my seat redone I took the old foam to the guy and re-cut a new piece. He made it with the memory foam.

Comment

I re-covered my GS850G seat with a new stock shape cover from B&H:

DON'T get the "basketweave" or "texture material" like I did. It looks nice, but it's full of tiny holes. Get the standard or heavy duty vinyl.

I also ordered a thick slab of "SuperCell Atomic Foam" from Sargent:

Basically, I peeled off the worn out stock cover, removed a slice of the stock foam with an electric knife, shaped and glued in the Supercell foam, trimmed it with the electric knife, and did the final shaping with a sanding block.

The improvement was amazing -- I did about 650 miles in one day coming back from the GS rally in North Carolina, and had no issues with gluteal discomfort. Before, I needed an air seat to ride more than an hour or so.

The Supercell foam is also nice because it doesn't pack down over a long ride like the stock foam, so your riding position remains constant.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

i just redid mine with the basic saddleskin and it looks great... i didnt have to replace the stock foam it was in great shape...

Comment

You can defrinitely do this job yourself but I'd caution you to find foam that will give you good support and comfort. Not all foam is the same and depending on your weight you might compress even the firmer foams. If the seat is not comfortable it will put you off riding or worse injure you.

I built an XS650 Street Tracker last year with a fiberglass seat pan and foam seat pad (with rigid and gel foam). I rode it for a few weeks before end of season last year with no problem but I never put more than an hour in the saddle.

This spring I had her out for 1/2 hour one Saturday. Monday morning I was standing in the shower and suffered ahooting pain up my left leg to butt cheek. Like the worst charley horse times 50. a trip to the ER and a diagnosis of Sciatic nerve damage caused by compression....likely sitting on the rock hard seat. Near 7 weeks later and my leg and foot are still not right. I haven't ridden the XS again and will be selling it. Bought the GS to replace it (big plush seat) and I'm hoping I'll be able to ride this summer.

I'd recommend you at least talk to an auto/bike upholsterer about what foam to use, but by all means give it a whirl.

Goodluck and cheers,
          Spyug

Comment

wow man thats too bad.....

i dont think my seat would be all that great on long trips, but for now i like it just fine

Comment

Any local upholstery shop can do it.

I paid about $100-$125 to have my 1000 seat done.
              He used triple density, took a few days.
              Works great.
              Keith
              -------------------------------------------
              1980 GS1000S, blue and white
              2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                I built an XS650 Street Tracker last year with a fiberglass seat pan and foam seat pad (with rigid and gel foam).

Goodluck and cheers,
                Spyug
                Any chance you'd be willing to post a few pics of the XS650 here? I don't think Sparky will mind a minor thread-jacking...

If not, do you have any pics online that I could check out? The XS650 makes an excellent platform for a street-tracker, and I'd really like to see what you've done with it... please let me know via PM whenever you're ready to sell it...

Comment

I don't want to take over this thread but if you look at this you will see what I was referring to in my previous post. Pad too thin and seat pan like a plank.

Cheers,
                  Spyug.

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                    I don't want to take over this thread but if you look at this you will see what I was referring to in my previous post. Pad too thin and seat pan like a plank.

Cheers,
                    Spyug.
                    Thanks for that link; I checked BOTH pages, and I'm truly impressed with your work. Keep me in mind if / when you're ready to sell it; if the letter I got from Ed McMahon is right, I should be coming into a LOT of money real soon...

Comment

Working...
                    X