Fairing Options, advice & Pics please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fairing Options, advice & Pics please

I use my bike on the freeway a fair bit & I'm looking for something to deflect the air over or around my Helmet...

Being here in So cal it's never that cold so I don't need anything more.

I'm 5'8" so the top of my helmet is lower than some....

This is what I have:

Just propped in place as I don't like the bulk & hate the look of it. I'm sure it would look better on an L model with Sissy bar, hard cases etc.

I like the look of the "S" type fairing. How much protection do they give???

Has anyone used this one from Loudfastugly??

Anyone recommend anything else??

Pictures would be great if anyone has anything.

If anyone wants to swap one with mine (or buy it) let me know.

Cheers,

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

This is what I'm talking about....

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

This I like... I might get me one of them if anyone can tell me air deflection on this style of fairing is reasonable........

1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Shoei and givi both make fairings like the one in the pictures.National cycle under sport fairings also has some fairings from the 1/4 size to ones with a dash and lights built in.May be Rifle,not national cycle.
        future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

The one shown in black is a very generic fairing sold under a few labels – probably all made in the same Chinese molds. It costs about $50. You generally have to do some custom work for fasteners and the metal parts are prone to instant rust (particularly the windscreen screws). However, if you address that, these are perfectly decent functioning fairings that keep a good bit of blast off your torso – as much as my Wes Cooley, which is all I want from a fairing. Just block enough wind to reduce the strain on my arms.

The other fairing (painted white/blue) is most probably a Meier and available in lots of places with a cutout for either a rectangular or round headlight. They look like the earliest GPZ fairings or the ZRX fairing and probably work fairly well. On the blue and white bike it’s mounted on in the picture, I think it looks like it was designed for it. Very good look.
          "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

So it keeps the wind off the torso but does nothing for the head??

Dan
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

You did not mention your handlebars. You will need to switch to Daytona or European bars for the fairings you show to work. You have the stock "plow handle" bars which require you to sit up straight. With them you probably would not want anything lower than what you have now.
              Last edited by dpep; 05-07-2007, 06:04 PM.
              Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                This is what I'm talking about....

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                You did not mention your handlebars. You will need to switch to Daytona or European bars for the fairings you show to work.
                Good point. I'm pretty sure those are superbike bars on that one.

Comment

Ok thanks... maybe I'll try what I have then (I ripped it off the 1st day I got the bike).
                  Mostly thinking about Yosemite in July, other than that it doesn't really matter as the journey's are short enough.

I was contemplating a switch to superbike bars at some stage in the future.

Dan
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

I have that "S" type fairing shown at the top, I like it a fair bit but it will by no means punch a big hole into the wind, previous posters were right when they said it only protects your chest, but when I tour long distances in 5th gear (like the trip I made between Ottawa and PEI last week, brrrrrrr, cold) I tuck in so I'm almost laying on my tank bag and put my feet on the passenger pegs, I find that position really comfortable and it cuts down on the wind: all sorts of different people like all sorts of different riding positions though, and I realize I'm probably not the model of safety. In conclusion, this fairing provides spades more comfort than any naked bike, but if you don't like tucking to stay out of the wind I wouldn't recommend this fairing for anything more than making your bike more stylish.

- Sam

Comment

Chinese knockoff fairings

I've got one of those fairings on one of my other bikes. I like it more than no fairing. I'm 6'4". I don't really like the looks fo full fairings but I do like riding longer distances. This is a nice compromise. Barring crazy headwinds, at speed it keeps enough wind off of my body that I can release my death grip on the bars. At the same time, there is enough pressure that my hands don't fall asleep leaning forward on my euro bars. Overall, it creates a pretty good balance. Not perfect, but pretty good. Also, I paid $5 for it at a swap meet. That helps too.

Comment

Working...
                      X