Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

advice on lowering seat height

hello all,

this is my first post, though i've been lurking and looking and drooling for a while now.... i've had my 78 gs 750 for a couple years now, but am new to motorcycles and particularly modifications. the bike is stock, and as you all know, not light. which is fine, but im 5' 7 and on my toes a bit when stopped, so my ? is this....is there an uncomplicated way to lower the seat height on this baby to make things a little more stable for a shorty when not at speed?
    i know you guys have all the answers, so lay it on me....thanks!

greg
    1983 GS 1100 ESD

you can uncover it and shave the foam, but then you will be more prone for a sore arse.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-07-2007, 07:23 AM.

Comment

As said you can shave the seat but you can only go so far with that and you're decreasing comfort in the process.

The standard answer is you can lower the forks in the triple-tree about .75 to 1 inch just by loosening the clamps and sliding them up. Then you can either find shorter rear shocks or get some lowering links. Lowering links may require modification to the rear brake though.

Comment

Shoe repair shop can put thicker soles on your riding boots. Thats what my 5'3" wife did. Picked up 3/4"

Comment

Originally posted by madjack57754 View Post
          Shoe repair shop can put thicker soles on your riding boots. Thats what my 5'3" wife did. Picked up 3/4"
          Adding to your riding boots does work. My brother and I own a shoe repair shop and we have one customer that we add 1.5" to his boots for riding (he rides a tall sport bike).

Comment

A do not cut any springs front or back. yes cut down the seat. If the bike is a E model lower in the front with clip ons and a smaller front wheel. If it is an L or T model lower in the back with either lowering links or my personal recommendation SUZUKI Savage rear shocks. 10.5 in. and really stiff. Keep in mind with the links you have to clear the rear caliper if you have rear disc, in which case you would use shorter shocks instead.

Comment

Some of these mods require other minor changes, so ask before doing unlesss you are a trial and error guy. Something simple would be to add a riser or spacer to your handle bar clamp and push the forks up about an inch in the trees.

Comment

Working...
              X