Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help - 1980 GS1100E - Bars & Light

Decided to just keep it stock for now.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-14-2007, 11:47 AM.

If you remove the headlight housing the back of the instrument panel will be exposed to the elements. It isn't reallly a problem on my 80 750E because I have a Quicksilver fairing to help keep water out. If you change the headlight, you'll need to address this issue. For the seat, you should be able to find a different cover for the one you have, I think JC Whitney sells a replacement cover for it. I've heard decent reviews on them, although not ones for your model specifically.
    JP
    1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
    1992 Concours
    2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
    2007 FJR

Comment

Originally posted by 45ACP View Post
      I have a 1980 GS1100E. I love the bike, but there are a couple things that I just can't seem to like.

1. The headlight. The square light drives me insane. I think it ruins the flow of the bike.
      2. The bars. Again, they do nothing for the asthetics of the bike, I am thinking drag bars would look and feel much better.
      3. The seat - I have an ugly aftermarket seat, and would like to go back to stock, or something like it. What years and models will fit the 1980?

I know these are 3 simple things to change, but what do you guys reccomend? What headlight and bars would you switch to? Money and time are pretty tight at the moment, so the easier and cheaper the better. Is there a company that makes a light that will bolt on after the old one is removed? Electrical and fabrication skills are two things I don't have. :-D

Thanks for any help and advice!
      I'm afraid I don't agree with your taste. I love the square headlight & bucket on my '80 GS1100E. I also had, many years ago, an '81 GS750E. I guess I always liked that square look. If you insist on replacing it with a round one, make sure you get a bucket large enough to tuck the wires in. Otherwise you may be disappointed by all the spaghetti hanging out.

Not sure if your bars are stock. It's too easy for a PO to have replaced them. But again, the stock bars are period correct, put the rider is a comfortable, upright position, with easy control access. I like the stock bars. There are many options out there. Here's one source. http://www.motorcycleproshop.com/acc.asp

The seat for your bike is only available for the '80/'81 GS1100E. The '80/'81 GS750E should also fit. Pass on any other seat. Watch on ebay for one in reasonable condition. You could get it re-covered, if necessary.

Meaning you no disrespect, of course. To each his own. I wish you good fortune in finding just the right options to make the bike your own.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I may just leave the headlight alone, but to me it looks like a Jeep with square headlights :shock:. If it is going to open up a bag of worms I will let it go.

I would love to get a stock seat, the PO replaced it with a gawdy aftermarket seat that I can't stand. I will check ebay for a 80-81 stock seat and see what I can find.

The bars are still the factory bars. I like the look and feel of the straight bars, and will check out the different options.

If anyone has a set of bars they have had success with, please chime in.
        Thanks all!

Comment

GS1100E Seat and Bars

I have used set of drag bars I removed from an 1980 1100EThey are black and need to be painted.
          I also have a couple seats ti fit your need and your budget.
          You can PM me.
          Thanks,
          Del

Comment

I have a 1980 GS1100E. I love the bike, but there are a couple things that I just can't seem to like.

1. The headlight. The square light drives me insane. I think it ruins the flow of the bike.
            2. The bars. Again, they do nothing for the asthetics of the bike, I am thinking drag bars would look and feel much better.
            3. The seat - I have an ugly aftermarket seat, and would like to go back to stock, or something like it. What years and models will fit the 1980?

I know these are 3 simple things to change, but what do you guys reccomend? What headlight and bars would you switch to? Money and time are pretty tight at the moment, so the easier and cheaper the better. Is there a company that makes a light that will bolt on after the old one is removed? Electrical and fabrication skills are two things I don't have. :-D

Thanks for any help and advice!

Different headlight, speedo,handlebars,tailpiece, and seat.

Comment

!980 Suzuki GS11100E

To 45ACP,

Here's what I changed on the bike above.The Headlight is from a mid 60's Honda w/ a speedo built into it.
              The handlebars are drag bars, shortened 1 & 7/8ths of an inch at each end.
              The tailpiece is from a an 80's Honda Interceptor.
              The side cases have been reshaped and relocated about 1 & 1/2 inches back.
              The seat has been shortened and narrowed at the back.
              The possibilities are endless...
              Good luck w/ the appearance modifications on your bike.
              Last edited by Guest; 05-07-2007, 02:14 PM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

I really like the headlight! Does it also have a tach, or just the speedo? I am going to have to look into that headlight!

Oh, and great bike!

Comment

I really like the headlight! Does it also have a tach, or just the speedo? I am going to have to look into that headlight!

Oh, and great bike!

Here's a nother pic of the headlight and handlebars.
                  No tach, I'm afraid, but I know that Suzuki had a speedo /tach/headlight
                  combo back in the early s60's.
                  I found the headlight/ speedo combo at my local swap meet/ flea market.
                  I paid $5.00 for it! Luckily, the speedo worked fine.
                  I had to have the speedo cable cut and reshaped at the end to fit into the headlight.

The dragbars are available at most motorcycleshops.
                  I did have to re-wire the whole bike, because the factory instrument cluster has a ton of check lights , fuel gauge, brake stuff, etc. and you can't bypass this electrical nightmare.
                  I don't particularly need to have all these lights to tell me what's wrong w/ the bike.
                  A simple safety check before each ride should suffice.

I have no welding skills or metal shop skill. I just used my imagination, a measuring tape,hack saw ,drill, lots of visual checking to see if it looks right.

I agree w/ you on the square headlight and the protruding instrument cluster. That stuff should be on a car!
                  Anyways...I would look at websites w/ older Japanes bikes and see what grabs your eye in regards to the headlight/speedo combo, plus it may spark some new ideas for you on how you want your bike to look
                  Or go to your local library and check out some motorcycle books.

H

Comment

Working...
                  X