Rattle can job...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rattle can job...

Well, I wanted to get my bike parts painted...I got a quote from a friend to have everything done for $200 plus the materials.
    I had a lot of BS with cars lately, so...that was out of the question...
    I decided to do it myself...
    My friend Vic said it was going to come out like cr@p, and was very against me doing it...after the results, he had second thoughts
    I am waiting 'til the end of the month to use rubbing compound. I also have a "test" piece where I will subject it to gas and see what happens.
    I primered it red, used metal speck paint, and clearcoated it at least 4 times...

BEFORE the headlight was painted/sandblasted...

A couple of teeny tiny mistakes...Vic said the only person who would notice is ME, since I am so picky..
    A bug in 2 spots in the clear coat..no runs, sags, etc...
    What do you guys think???

you can make rattlecan paint look good however in my experience gas will usually take it right off unfortunately. What you can do is wax the hell out of them and just watch what you are doing when filling up

Comment

Originally posted by oldschoolorange View Post
      you can make rattlecan paint look good however in my experience gas will usually take it right off unfortunately. What you can do is wax the hell out of them and just watch what you are doing when filling up
      That's what I'm planning on doing...and making some sort of "gas bib" for the fill-ups...I'll come up with something!:-D

Comment

Wow! Those look pretty slick! I like the depth that the four clear coats give. Hopefully, they will stand up to gas if you let them cure for a while.

Wait... I just noticed: What are you doing with the tail piece?

Comment

I think it looks great speadzter2000 but I have to agree with oldschoolorange, and suggest not to test it. Spraypaint will definately be damaged by Gasoline, even the clearcoat spraypaint.

Comment

Originally posted by steely View Post
            Wow! Those look pretty slick! I like the depth that the four clear coats give. Hopefully, they will stand up to gas if you let them cure for a while.

Wait... I just noticed: What are you doing with the tail piece?
            I'm trying to get the pin-striping off the tail-piece...kind of a PITA! I should have that done by Wednesday, if it doesn't rain.
            I'm going to let them cure for 30 days, the use rubbing compound, then wax them after 48 hours.
            Thanks for the compliment!:-D

Comment

Originally posted by SabreJim View Post
              I think it looks great speadzter2000 but I have to agree with oldschoolorange, and suggest not to test it. Spraypaint will definately be damaged by Gasoline, even the clearcoat spraypaint.
              I have a test piece of metal that I used to do the same procedure as I did these pieces. No way would I try it on something I just did! YIKES!:-D
              For now, it'll work...We'll see what the future holds...
              The P.O. painted over LOTS of scratches that were rusty on the tank...nothing too serious that didnt come out with the DA.....underneath was a little rusty... Underneath the tank is primered and painted to avoid future issues...same as the inside of the headlight bucket and front fender.

Comment

Lo-lo-LOVE the color! What is it?

You know, if you have a compressor, you can get really cheap spray guns ($15, which should last enough to do bike parts) if you can get your hands on some pro clearcoat.

Looks great - can't wait to see the bike assembled!

WTG girrrlll!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MissFabulous View Post
                  Lo-lo-LOVE the color! What is it?

You know, if you have a compressor, you can get really cheap spray guns ($15, which should last enough to do bike parts) if you can get your hands on some pro clearcoat.

Looks great - can't wait to see the bike assembled!

WTG girrrlll!!!
                  Thanks Ms. Fab!!
                  My friend Vic has a spray gun... and a compressor...I think I might do another clear coat on it that is gas resistant...I used Duplicolor Metal Specks...Looks candy apple..almost! Also used Duplicolor primer, and their D 125 clearcoat. We'll see how it goes..!
                  It'll make the rest of the bike look like cr@p, so I need to get to work!!:shock:

Comment

Originally posted by speedzter2000 View Post
                    I'm trying to get the pin-striping off the tail-piece...kind of a PITA! I should have that done by Wednesday, if it doesn't rain.
                    I'm going to let them cure for 30 days, the use rubbing compound, then wax them after 48 hours.
                    Thanks for the compliment!:-D
                    I have heard (on one of the Hot-Rod forums I subscribe to) that if you let the spray paint cure for at least a month, it is more gas resistant. I think you have the right idea there. I would suggest waxing the **** out out of it once it is cured.

Comment

Looks good but the durability won't be the same

I am a professional painter in the collision repair buisness and can tell you that yes you can get rattlecan paints to look just as good as a professional paint line ( ppg,dupont,sikkens etc. ). However the durability is not going to be the same. My suggestion would be to wet sand the parts with 1500 grit wet sand paper and re-clearcoat the parts with a 2 part clear coat. You should be able to get a quart of clear with the hardner ( catalyst ) for under $50.00. With most clearcoat systems it will be a 4 to 1 mix. 4 parts clear to 1 part of the hardner. I would test it out on your test panel before doing the parts though to make sure the new clear doesn't cause the rattlecan clear to "lift" or wrinkle. This sometimes happens cause the solvents in the two part clear will bite into the rattlecan paint and cause it to wrinkle up or lift away from the surface being painted.

I do like the color though and you did do a nice job on the parts they look good , but just won't be as durable as a basecoat/clearcoat system from a ppg,dupont,sikkens, paint line etc.

Comment

looks really great!
                        keep us posted when you have it all on the bike
                        i would however put a two-pot clear on top of it to make it a gas resistant finish (and generally a tougher finish for a piece of mind)
                        an inexpensive way to do it is to buy an "aerosol gun" - it's a disposable gas filled container + a small empty container, all conected so that you use it like a regular aerosol but with whatever paint you yourself put in it
                        GS850GT

Comment

Forgot to ask was the fender originally chrome? I was thinking of sandblasting my chrome fender and painting it to match the bike. There are some dings in it so I figured I can fill those after I sandblast the fender. Is that how you prepped the fender if was chrome before?

Comment

Originally posted by 78550Detroit View Post
                            Forgot to ask was the fender originally chrome? I was thinking of sandblasting my chrome fender and painting it to match the bike. There are some dings in it so I figured I can fill those after I sandblast the fender. Is that how you prepped the fender if was chrome before?
                            Yes, my friend sandblasted it...it's still pitted, and has a crinkle in it, but I dont care...I used 80 grit, then 360...could of of used some filler, but..didnt want to bother..Besides, I can always get another if I want..
                            The chrome fender to me doesnt match the bike..my chainguard isnt chrome, I have mag wheels...sooo...

PSYGUY...THANK YOU for the compliment!!:-D

Comment

I have used automotive touch up paint clear coat from a rattle can, and have used touch up paint on two bikes. After using clear coat on the tank, something like three coats, after curing, I never had a problem with the occasional spill of gas on the tank, the paint didn't blister. If you use a pretty descent clear coat, it will be fine

spray a few coats on it and then let them dry well, and you should be good to go.

Comment

Working...
                              X