Custom tanks by A$$

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom tanks by A$$

So if you remember, I bought this 850 body set off ebay that appears to have had the tank blown up with compressed air. See the history here:
    This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

I was getting ready to just throw the tank in the trash, but it was a rainy morning here in NE and I've been thinking about this for a while. So I took a couple of nylon tie downs that they used to pack the old Yamaha Ventures in the crate with and guessed at the best angle on this blue tank, wrapped the tank in a towel, tightened the crap out of the straps by hand, then put the whole thing delicately balanced on it's side on a pad on the cellar floor and bounced my a$$ on the side of the tank three times. Third time I heard a crunch. No loss the tank was heading for the junk yard anyway. To my surprise, I took off my old black tank and the blue one slid right on slick! Didn't hit the frame and everything lined up! My ass customization did buckle and peel the paint up around the neck as illustrated below, but after swapping the petcock and fuel sending unit and throwing half a tank of gas in it, looks like I got me an all blue, rusty rat bike. I'm a friggin happy camper.\\/

Last edited by Guest; 05-19-2007, 08:34 PM.

LMFFAO

one of the F's are for fat....................

Steve That is just too funny........
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Cool man...looks good as new....you don't do anything half-assed.

Tony.
      '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
      Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

So apparently you don't mind getting a little behind in your work.

I hate myself.

Comment

nice work... i say do what it takes to fix it... even if it is unconventional

Comment

Don't hate yourself beergood. That was a good one. Sometimes, it's all about the ass.
            I took it and filled it to the brim today. No leaks!
            80GS750: I came within inches of throwing this tank away. You're right. If it works and doesn't put you or others in danger-GO FOR IT!
            Have a great weekend folks.
            I'm hoping to ride to the coast with the AW tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
            X