My project thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My project thread...

I figure i would get one going for myself...

This is the start of my '81 GS550L build. I dont know exactly what i plan on doing to her, but hopefully she'll look good. I'm kinda wanting to go with a jap chopper/bobber look, without the stretched forks and such. Like i said, i'm not positive.. But i have a general idea. My favorite bike is the confederate hellcat. So maybe something like that. Anyhow, on with the pics.

Also, at the bottom check out the side mount tag plate i welded yesterday at lunch.

Looks like you got a good project there man. Keep us up to date with it. I myself have GS 750 L that thinking of going in the same direction with. Good luck man.

Comment

I'm in the same boat.

I picked up a 550 that I am bobbing out.

So far I hacked off the rear end, removed the 18" spokers and replaced with a 19 in the front and 16 in hte rear (Mags)

De-badged the tank, relocated ALL electrical controls to under the seat.

Took out all unneeded (for inspection) Electrical items

Custom made a fiberglass seat pan in the process of padding and wrapping it.

Custom forward controls, removal of factory controls.

Drag bars

Etc...

All on a $300 budget

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Good Luck!

Comment

Yeah, its fun to make custom crap. I've done other car stuff, but this is my first "real" bike. I've had dirt bikes and minis.. Anyhow, i've got a plan for the bars similar to these

But i want the overall look to be more sporty.

Also going to pick up a motor this weekend (hopefully!), and finish my carbs within the week. Pods and straight pipes (not straight open, but straight back) for the mods.

Not sure if i want to run a shorty fender or a long and low. Anyhow, more to come as it progresses!

Comment

The Confederate Hellcat, a very do-able project. Or at least something that resembles one.

Comment

You could try these bars for $50 plus shipping and save yourself some time.
            They're 7/8 dia.

Comment

Got bored again at work today and mounted my stock fender to the swingarm. I just hated the huge gap from the tire to the fender. The mount was a little ghetto, but its was the best i could do without some major hacking, or welding mounts on the arm itself. tell me what you think

Sorry bout the poor quality pics. I dont have a tri pod for the camera. And after 10 hours of work my hands are a little too shaky for pics

Comment

Like that look! Dunno about that bracket, but the fender looks great in that position.

Comment

LOL... The bracket looks better in real life. The welds actually turned out nice. I was surprised.

If anyone can think of a better way to mount it up, i'm open to suggestions. I just couldnt think of anything in the hour that i put it together.

Comment

I must say I too am a fan of that fender of yours. I know what you mean about the gap, not the most appealing thing to me either.

Comment

Hey man, just curious. But you got any updats on this bike.

Comment

Sorry... I havent touched it but to move it. I changed positions at work (50 hour weeks) bought my first house (that has its own chores) and trying to get the house to where the wifey likes it (:-| god help me!)

I was torn sunday wether i was going to work on the bike or my truck... I ended up taking a nap and doing neither. :-D

Anyhow, I decided to not just half-ass it... So i'm probably going to start some real disassembly next weekend.

I'll update as I can.

Comment

just a little update... got my bike in pieces, and parts all over my shop... busted my finger with a hammer... and lovin all of it

Comment

Hey man, I can side with you on buying a house. Its a pain in the a$$, but good in the long run.

Pics of the bike are good, but we really want to see your finger.:-D

Comment

I've never seen handlebars on a swamp cooler before. How's she handle? I feel you r pain, life tends to get in the way of my hobbies too. Don't give up.

Comment

Working...
                              X