4 to 1 exhaust also painting issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 to 1 exhaust also painting issues

does any one know where to pick up or a 4 to 1 exhaust for a GS550 (1980)?

ALSO
    i'm repainting my bike,
    I wet sanded the side covers and the gas tank
    i then painted the side covers (with Dupi coat) putting about 3 coats down... no drips BUT THEN when i woke up this morning and check them out there where blotchs of like shriveled up paint (as if flame was put to it!!!) the blotches where mostly located at the tops of the side covers

what caused that??????????

right now i'm gonna wet sand down, smooth again, fill in with glazing putty and try again........

the paint wrinkled on you, it did it to me too when i painted mine

i think if you get it too thick it will try to dry too fast and wrinkle up like that

Comment

did you clean it with wax/grease remover and wipe it down with a tack cloth before painting? Sounds like contamination to me.

Comment

well no, i didn't de-grease it, but the bike was originally red then painted blue... and i sanded down to the red... and little bit threw the red (to smooth out).... and those are the spots that seemed to wrinkle on me... much to my annoyance... this time gonna wet sand, air dry, de-grease, wash, dry, glaze putty smooth'ish, wet sand again, dry then paint :shock:

Comment

Yeah... its really a PITA. Especially rattle canning it. Hard to make it perfect. But some flaws are just annoying. I painted the brake booster on my old chevy and got orange peel like crazy! And i havent ever really seen orange peel from a rattle can! Anyhow, crap happens.

I say get it smooth, hit it with some primer, wet sand, degrease, blow off with air and wipe with a tack cloth. Shoot it, and let it cure. Hopefully that'll do it.

If not, post back.... with pics

Comment

Back to your question about the 4 into 1, MAC Performance (www.macperformance.com) makes one for some older Suzukis, at least I got one for my '81 650G four years ago through my dealer. It seemed to go on easily, there was no apparent need for rejetting, and it sounds pretty nice. One big drawback is the chrome quality, however. Maybe it was because I didn't ride much for the last three years, but it got a fair bit of rust and you have to pay close attention to stay ahead of it.

Comment

My side covers had the same problem, repeatedly..

I started to get the feeling that it was a chemical reaction between the plastic and the paint. i sanded thoroughly and then used a plastic paint and it seems to have worked out fine..

But its just a guess.

Comment

I had the same trouble on both tank and sidecovers. It's a too-thick problem, as mentioned before.

Comment

I've had this problem several times at work the problem is related to putting the paint on to thick and quick. The thinner in the rattle can sofens up the paint underneath causing it to shrink up as it redrys. There are really two ways to prevent this. You can put a sealer down first, or the risker option put two real light dry coats on and let them completly flash then put two more normal coats on.

Comment

Originally posted by swrupert83 View Post
                    does any one know where to pick up or a 4 to 1 exhaust for a GS550 (1980)?

ALSO
                    i'm repainting my bike,
                    I wet sanded the side covers and the gas tank
                    i then painted the side covers (with Dupi coat) putting about 3 coats down... no drips BUT THEN when i woke up this morning and check them out there where blotchs of like shriveled up paint (as if flame was put to it!!!) the blotches where mostly located at the tops of the side covers

what caused that??????????

right now i'm gonna wet sand down, smooth again, fill in with glazing putty and try again........

I had that problem...it's your fingerprints!! The oils from your skin will leave a residue..(fingerprint)..use latex gloves..
                    Hope it helps!:-D

Comment

ok now i'm just gettin ****ed
                      I put on latex gloves... then washed my hands (with gloves on).... then wet sanded till baby butt smooth.... filled in with putty.... wet sanded smooth again... rinsed, cleaned, and let dry in a room with a dehumidifier for 4 hours..... washed hands again... sprayed on ONE super thin coat ...left alone....... WRINKLED AGAIN!!!!! :twisted:

Comment

Use Plastic paint, or a plastic primer. That is the only way....

Comment

Had the same thing happen to me on metal, though.

Comment

Echo...echo...echo...

This ain't the first reply like this...I had the same thing happen to my side covers as well.

I cleaned them to a point where I think someone with OCD would find it ridiculous. No love, still wrinkled.

My advice, do what I did. Prime the ever lovin' crap out of them and then apply about a dozen super thin coats.

Good luck.

Comment

i had to lightly mist mine, let it dry, mist it, let it dry etc etc etc

couldnt even really spray a real coat on it or it would wrinkle

Comment

Working...
                              X