1980 GS1100e Monoshock How-to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Johnnay,
    Great work! What other mods are in the works? You're a master craftsman, and I'm lovin' this bike!
    -KR

Comment

Aw, hell no! A master craftsman is someone like this..

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ad.php?t=94468

I've finished the 530 mod as well, but I'm thinking to go to a 520 this winter. Also need to rebuild the engine, but won't do anything drastic there - just replace what's worn and put on a new ignition & maybe some carbs and of course make it purty.

btw Craiger, the birdsmouths were done with a grinder...:-D Took a while, but came out pretty nice..
      Last edited by Guest; 05-12-2008, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnay View Post
        btw Craiger, the birdsmouths were done with a grinder...:-D Took a while, but came out pretty nice..
        Wow, dude! Very impressive. I was afraid you may have missed that request with all the responses. Very glad you noticed it.

Intersting that you called them birdsmouths. I've only heard them called fishmouths. But regardless of whatever animal mouth they are, they look great! Good work.

Comment

haha, more evidence against me being a master crafstman..! a birdsmouth is actually the notch in a rafter where it rests on the top plate in house construction. but like you say, tomato/tomahto.

Comment

Yeah, I'm following that 1150 build, too. Good stuff. If you run into any 520 problems when you convert do me a favor and let me know.
            Again, hats off ... it's due.

Comment

very good johnnay is wat you mean ,just dont know weather to use my blade **** or not i know that buy using gsxr stuff it will be easyer but do you think the blade wheels suit the gs???

Comment

hey johnnay
                thats a really good article you've posted there mate better written than i could have managed & very susinct I hope you dont mind me adding a couple of my thoughts to it

I've done a few of there conversions as some may know but i always remake the bottom linkage mounts to suit the new setup the reason for this is i'm not happy to rely on 20+ year old welding on such a critical part & i'm not sure there is enough meat on the centre stand mounts of all gs's to open them out much

digi photo's of whichever arm you use help to get the shock etc setup exactly as it came from the donor bike this usually ensures that all will work as intended, its an easy thing to get wrong because a slight difference in the angles can have you end up with either a very hard or soft shock due to the leverage applied, Also another reason for remaking the bottom mount

Just to be clear yours looks a good strong safe conversion i just wanted others to take in to account the couple of problems they may encounter

cheers tone

Comment

Sharon,

The blade wheels are killer, but I'm just not sure about cutting up a swingarm to make them fit - you'll have to be perfect with the welds from both a structural and alignment perspective - would be a lot easier & safer to use the JMC swingarm, or see if the wheel will fit in a GSXR swingarm.

by the way, pretty sure 180mm rear tire is the widest you can go on your GS1000 frame.

-for those not understanding the above conversation, it originated here:
                  http://www.streetfighters.com.au/for...TOPIC_ID=10922

Comment

Tone - thx for the comments & I agree with you. I did consider beefing up the centrestand mounts, but lots of people have gone this way before without issue, and after looking at several pics of stock mounts, the thickness/configuration of the metal appeared to be as strong or stronger - assuming the welds are still ok, of course!!

besides, what's the worst that could happen??!! (j/k)

Comment

Working...
                    X