How to get burnt stuff off pipes???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get burnt stuff off pipes???

Does anyone out there know a good way to get burnt plastic or rubber off of chrome exhaust pipes? Thanks in advance for sharing all of your wealth of knowledge.

Dont use scotch brite or some kinda razor scraper. Try a solvent and some elbow grease.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I've used simichrome paste polish with some success

Comment

Originally posted by airportcop View Post
        Does anyone out there know a good way to get burnt plastic or rubber off of chrome exhaust pipes? Thanks in advance for sharing all of your wealth of knowledge.
        Take your bike for a ride, get your exhaust hot, and immediately spray WD40 into a clean rag and rub it on the gunk. After a few tries the gunk will come right off with no discoloration to your exhaust.

Comment

Thanks fellas! I'll try it and let you know.

Comment

The WD40 trick will work or you could just soften the plastic with some acetone or paint thinners on a rag. Only do this with the exhaust cold of course, as both are highly flammable.

Comment

at work we use a penny... copper is softer than chrome. but be careful... it still can leave tiny (and I emphesize tiny) scratches...

Comment

Or leave it alone. It will eventually burn off on it's own. Tho' that might take some time.

Comment

All of my chrome and polished stuff gets rubbed with some 000(fine) or 0000 (very fine) steel wool. You can find it at any hardware store. It doesnt scratch the surface.....and works in seconds to restore chrome to a mirror-like polish! It even removes light rust to make chrome pieces look brand new.

Don't use the steel wool that you scour pots and pans with!....Get it at the hardware store (lowes, Home base, Ace, etc). They come in different grades from "0" (coarse) to "00000" (very fine).

Trust me....it takes burnt rubber marks off like an eraser on a chalk board......and will make your pipes look better than ever! :-D
                  Last edited by Guest; 06-07-2007, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X