Flatten an L seat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flatten an L seat?

I'll be getting my 91 650GL back in a month or so. It's a fun bike but that L seat has got to go. I can't ride it an hour without it getting uncomfortable. I'm assuming I can't just put an e seat in it's place (If I could that would be great,can I?) My thought is to get a 650L seat pan off some scrap pile and build up a straight seat with foam. Then get some seat covering material and do what I can to make it look good. Anyone else done this? Any advice appreciated. She a good bike and everything mechanical is great.:-D

It's really not that expensive to have a professional upholstery shop redo your seat, and they can use different foam densities to achieve the "feel" you're looking for. They can also make the profile you want.

One thing I recommend (and I get a lot of strange looks about this until they try it) is to cover the top of the seat in wetsuit material. This is the most comfortable weather resistant material you can use on a bike, and it's about the same price as vinyl. Have the sides covered in vinyl (or leather if you want and have the money). It won't burn your butt in the summer or freeze it in the winter, and it's great for long rides. I know a guy that did this on his 'Wing and he rides for hours at a time in perfect comfort.

If you know someone with sewing skills and a heavy-duty sewing machine you can make the cover yourself, and cut the foam down with an electric knife or "hot wire" knife which is easy to make.

Comment

Have you identified exactly what it is that is making you uncomfortable? Most seats tend to be a bit convex. When you put your convex posterior on it, there is a LOT of pressure right in the middle, causing pain in a short time. Better is to have a flat seat on the bike, even better is to have a concave seat. We have installed a Travelcade Easy Chair (click on the Older Seats tab in the left column) on my wife's 850L and really like it. I did not see a listing for your 650 in their catalog, but you can call them and ask.

If I get a chance later today, I will see if the 850 and 650 seats are at all compatible. You might be able to use the 850 foam on your 650 pan.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It's a multiple problem kind of situation. There's no room to slide back and forward,I'm locked into an uncomfortable-knees up/feet forward position. I'm also kinda low. I figured if I could fill in the front portion (that touches gas tank) even with the back,it would be a bit closer to a UJM. I wanted to keep the seat that's on it the way it is 'cause there's nothing wrong with it. I'm very happy with the mechanicals on the bike,very good power for its size, good shape in general,just that L seat.:-D

What do you think it would/should cost to have the foam covered by a shop if I build it up the way I want? Thanks RJ

Comment

Originally posted by omaharj View Post
          It's a multiple problem kind of situation. There's no room to slide back and forward,I'm locked into an uncomfortable-knees up/feet forward position. I'm also kinda low. I figured if I could fill in the front portion (that touches gas tank) even with the back,it would be a bit closer to a UJM. I wanted to keep the seat that's on it the way it is 'cause there's nothing wrong with it. I'm very happy with the mechanicals on the bike,very good power for its size, good shape in general,just that L seat.:-D

What do you think it would/should cost to have the foam covered by a shop if I build it up the way I want? Thanks RJ
          I had the step removed,seat recovered with black leather for $75.00
          future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Working...
          X