'82 Gs650gl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 Gs650gl

Hey, everyone! First post actually. I was looking for parts for my "new" bike on Craigslist when one of your GS nuts sent me to this site. He has four of them! Well, my wife and I have two of them now. Her's is an '81 GS550L that looks pretty good from 5 feet and runs great actually! Paid $500 and it only has 11K on it! We'll be selling them next Summer if anyone in Minnesota wants them (trading up for newer/bigger bikes). Anyhow, what I'm looking for is stuff for mine. I got my '82 GS650GL out of my neighbors garage after it sat FOREVER. Needless to say, she's not running and is in really rough shape. As such, I'm going to have a small amount of fun (once it's running) but need a little bit of help with it. I'm new to bikes period, so forgive me if the answers are obvious.

-First off, I'm stripping the tank since it has fuel stains all over the clear coat and rust in several spots. To make it easier, I'm just going to prime it and paint it flat black. Here's the question: The screws that hold in the Suzuki badge...is it OK to just remove them and fill the holes? The screws don't actually go in to the tank, do they?

-Secondly, I've seen some cafe racers and thought this would be something kind of fun to do with this one. Nothing over board so if it cost too much, I'm scrapping the plan. But, I'd like to get those handlebars at least...any idea where to find them. And, if I go all the way with the idea, where can I find a new back section for the seat and such?

Any help you can provide me with would be GREATLY appreciated!

Adam
Working...
X