Rusty black exhaust...plz help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rusty black exhaust...plz help.

Hey everyone, I've recently purchased a 1983 GS550E, and it has the black engine with the black exhaust. I took the exhaust off today, and it's full of rust.
    I'd like to get rid of the rust, but the megaphones and pipes are almost a black chrome finish, the likes of which I've never seen before.

My question is, what is the best way of going about cleaning these?

Also, are there any 4-1 exhausts that would fit my bike? I've done some searching, but there were no clearcut answers. If possible, I'd like to get a 4-1 exhaust.

I've heard that some years of gsxr600's exhaust would bolt right up to my bike, has anyone heard of this?

Here are some pics of the exhaust in its current rusty state. Thanks in advance everyone!

Best bet would be to sandblast the pipes and then paint them with a hightemp paint or have the coated

Comment

My man Oldschool has it right. Not much you can do to reclaim the finish. I use a brass wire brush wheel in a drill to get rid of the rust.rub down the good finish with fine steel wool to give a "tooth" for paint. Crappy tire has several types of Hightemp engine paint in gloss or flat black. That would be the least cost approach ($8 or so).

If you picked up a 649 winning, you could send them in for ceramic coating. Mind you if you got a 649 score you could buy one of Rossi's MotoGP bikes ( or any other bike that hits your fancy:-D

I think Mac has a set for your bike check through your local bike store.

A shot of paint and you'll really be looking spiffy.

Keep us informed of how it goes.

Cheers,
      Spyug.

Comment

My exhaust had some light rust on it when I first got it. A friend told me to use extra fine (0000) steel wool and some WD-40 to take off the rust. It worked like a charm on my chrome pipes. I don't know how it'll work on your finish but, it may be worth a shot. Good luck.

I also saw the pics in your other thread, too. Nice looking bike.

Comment

same boat

I just bought some pipes off ebay and am in the process of painting them I will post some photos when done.

Comment

That would be great to see, grantsstuff.

Comment

Have a look at the vance and hines website. They have a 4 in 1 systen but it may only come in Crome

Comment

Here is what I did to mine....

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Should be helpful... Be sure to use phosphoric acid and scrub all the rust off the pipes with it and a brush..

My paint is starting to flake a little, but looks great from a few feet away.. it just looks like a little road grime on them..

Good Luck,
                Nick

Comment

Black Velvet from POR-15. Apparently it's incredible stuff, and I've used POR-15 products before with outstanding results. Check out their website, they list complete instructions, etc. for most of their products.

I'm planning on trying out the Black Velvet on my V&H 4-1 and leaving the megaphone chrome. The key is to get the pipes sandblasted and then make sure they are completely degreased. Even the oil from your hands will mess up the finished pipes.

Comment

If it were me, and the 550 was in great shape other than the pipes, and you wanted to keep it for a long time, I'd pay someone to sandblast them and cermaic coat them. Probably 3 or 4 hundred, but they willl last and look great.
                    Currently bikeless
                    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I'm sorry to say that it is pretty much impossible to clean those pipes with much other than a cloth and soap without damaging the original black finish. You could get them sand blasted and then take them to a rechromer, I checked it out a couple years ago when I was looking to replace one megaphone and he said he could "do" black chrome, whatever that means, Then it was $99 bucks for one side. Now, I do have an observation, I have stock megaphones on my bike, also black, and there is no weld seem in the middle of the megaphone.

Comment

Working...
                      X