No announcement yet.

Dual Headlight Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heck, I've got the one that was knocked off of our '92 Camry. It was working fine before we were sideswiped. Want it?

Comment

Eh. Why spend the cost of shipping? If my friend Ed is successful in getting me his, it's the same difference. Otherwise, we can swap home addresses. ;-)

Maybe you can use yours to duplicate what I do after I figure out how to do it.

Comment

question about those videos

Hey,

does anyone know whether the electricaly rust removal process would work on corrosion on chrome pieces? My bike has definitly seen cleaner days and some of the chrome just looks like it might be ready for the scrap pile, or for repainting in black.

Does anyone know if that kind of thing would be safe for the parts?

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
          You might consider using a headlight modulator, too. Wire it up to switch from left to right, ...
          NO, NO, NO :shock: :shock: :shock:

Those of us already using modulators are experiencing enough problems with them. Switching it from side-to-side is considered a wig-wag setup and is expressly prohibited from all but authorized emergency vehicles.

The other forum I visit daily is dedicated to GoldWings. Many of them travel from state to state frequently, and there are stories about Sheriff Bubba who "don't care what the Feds say, you're in MY county now."

Trust me, a standard, LEGAL modulator will attract enough attention without resorting to an ILEGAL wig-wag. 8-[

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            NO, NO, NO :shock: :shock: :shock:

Those of us already using modulators are experiencing enough problems with them. Switching it from side-to-side is considered a wig-wag setup and is expressly prohibited from all but authorized emergency vehicles.

The other forum I visit daily is dedicated to GoldWings. Many of them travel from state to state frequently, and there are stories about Sheriff Bubba who "don't care what the Feds say, you're in MY county now."

Trust me, a standard, LEGAL modulator will attract enough attention without resorting to an ILEGAL wig-wag.
            I was waiting for that to come up.....
            sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Ya think anyone else will notice it?

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Here's a link to a site with some nice options. A little pricey but it's not your run of the mill items. I just picked up a pair of the billet headlight brackets and couldn't be happier with them.

Comment

Just now found this posting. Cathy, I happen to be a mfg engineer for a company that produces Outside Rearview mirrors. Iffn you want, I can probably snag a couple of "scrap" power actuators for you, and send them for the cost of shipping. If it works, you gotta promise to share the design with me

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H View Post
                    Just now found this posting. Cathy, I happen to be a mfg engineer for a company that produces Outside Rearview mirrors. Iffn you want, I can probably snag a couple of "scrap" power actuators for you, and send them for the cost of shipping. If it works, you gotta promise to share the design with me
                    Per my last post, I'm just about a week away from having one without anybody being out anything, least of all freight costs. If somehow that falls through, I'll take up somebody on some offer to get the design and engineering juices flowing.

In the mean time I'm just on a seek and destroy mission after all the rust on my bike, and trying to find a source for Rustoleum Hammered "Deep Blue" for a really nice detail I want to put on my side covers. Also looking for Duplicolor Engine Paint "Dark Ford Blue".

If, after getting the parts I need cleaned up cleaned up, I still have primer, paint, and clear coat enough, I'll just go ahead and do up the headlight bucket and bezel I've got, and based on that experience with the disassembly and reassembly of one, I'll try to figure out how to do a pair of independently aimable dual headlights using power wing mirror actuators.

As I said, Mike, everything I do to this bike is going on the web, even the source code for any Microchip PICs I use for things like actuator control, switch/button/dial interpretation, and LED animation. And, of course, the crude engineering drawnings on high tech napkin media. ;-)

Comment

The Dupli-Color can be found at most O'Reilly's. I've seen some of the Rustoleum Hammered there, too.

Comment

All in all, the whole headlight idea sounds a bit "Tuckerish" to me. This would be a made up word of my own design. However having seen Harrison Ford in the movie version, i feel i am qualified to use said word.

Let us know when you get the rust off.

I'm off to look at a new lawnmower. ( it may not cut thru the weeds any better but you sure will look slick doing it)
                        Last edited by Guest; 07-20-2007, 03:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X