Front vs Rear tire differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front vs Rear tire differences

I am looking at some "new" older tires, and I have found a 130 90 16 that is a front tire. My question is what is the difference between a front and rear tire? I am looking at this size tire for the rear, as I am having a hard time finding a 120 at a decent price (i.e. super cheap) for my rear.

Thanks for the time, I'm new.

The biggest difference is the tread pattern. Some "older" and/or cheaper tires have a generic tread pattern that works front or back. If the tire you've found has "arrow" looking tread facing the lead end of the tire or any directional looking pattern, it would be best not to put it on the rear. Those patterns are designed for front wheel stability and would probably prove to be at least a tad "squirrely" feeling on the rear, and give less traction to the driven wheel.

Comment

It's not going to be "super cheap", but you will find that size tire in front AND rear patterns from Tires Unlimited. Dunlop Elite III

Unless you ride more than I do, you may never have to buy another tire for your bike. :shock: A set of these lasted 23,000 miles on my Gold Wing and were replaced with a new set of the same thing. When my wife's 850L gets new tires this winter, that's what is going on. \\/
      sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Since there is an "Elite III" does that mean they are no longer making the Elite II's?

The prices for the bias belted ones don't look TOO much higher for the new ones, but I know and like the II's.

Has anyone ridden both?

Also that link mentions a Dunlop strike, which doesn't sound good...

Comment

Working...
        X