Side Cover Woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side Cover Woes

I have a 83' GS550E (blue/white). The tabs on my side covers have broken off. I am looking for ideas on how to fix them. I have some epoxy that is used on plastic, but I don't know if it'll be strong enough. Anyone know of a super strong product that will hold these little bugger on? Thanks.

I've replaced various plastic clips and thingies with ~1/8" aluminum. It's easy to work, bend, cut, and file. Once it's the right shape, I pop-rivet it in place. The plastic chain-guard repair has lasted for about 10 years.

Are you talking about the top tabs that have a rectangular pocket that fits over two horns on the frame, or the bottom snap-in tab? A pair of pop-rivets wouldn't show either place much.

While you're at it, you may want to add a safety wire to each side cover. If they pop off at speed, there isn't much left. Ask me how I know.
    Mark Fisher
    sigpic
    ..............................27 years

Comment

I could use a left side cover, too (it's cracked right down the middle). It's amazing Suzuki or somebody out there doesn't make these things as it seems that there's a lot of demand just from the members of this website alone.

Best of luck with the tabs!

Comment

I made a repair to my sidecover that should be strong enough to last awhile I hope. My sidecovers have a plastic tab that pushes through a rubber grommet and is held in place by the head of the tab on the other side of the grommet. The following are the steps I took to repair the tab:

1. I first got a carriage bolt that was small enough. Using the dremmel and my grinder I cut and shaped the head of the carriage bolt to resemble the top of the plastic head.

2. I then drilled a hole into the remaining plastic that was leftover after the tab had broke. The hole must be the same diam of the bolt shaft.

3. I then little by little cut the threaded end of the bolt off until it was the same length as the same tab on my other good side cover. Lastly I placed epoxie into the drilled hole and the threaded end of the bolt and placed together.

I believe this will be a strong long lasting repair. The epoxie has several threads on the bolt to anchor to and the remaining plastic had four point to help act as an anchor as well. I don't know what type of epoxie you might be able to aquire/use but I used the same type of glue they use to glue airplane wings on. I dont recommend you go out and buy some for your sidecovers though this stuff is pretty expensive. It is around the $200-$300 price range. :shock:

My father had some leftover lying around because he has an Airframe Mechanics and Powerplants license and works on airplanes to help supplement his retirement.

Comment

I've used Plastex to repair lot's of bodywork. It's easy, and strong - make no mistake about it. I used it to repair not one, but two GSXR 750 uppers that had been smashed into more pieces than could be counted. This stuff filled voids and joined parts like nothing else I've ever tried. I swear by it unconditionally. It even comes with a molding bar that can be formed and reused to actually duplicate and replace missing tabs. Follow the web link and watch the demo. It's not only as easy as it looks, but it also works amazing. And no, I'm not selling it - I'm just that happy with it. GSXR plastics aren't easy to come by and this gives me a new lease on life.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I got the standard kit for $29.95 and still have half of it left. You could probably get away with the small kit if all you have to do is fix a tab and that one is only $13.95. Don't laugh, I know it sounds like BS, but the stuff works.
          Last edited by Guest; 08-06-2007, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mf70 View Post
            While you're at it, you may want to add a safety wire to each side cover. If they pop off at speed, there isn't much left. Ask me how I know.
            Yeah, sucks doesn't it. That happened to me on my Dad's old CB1000C on Fathers Day. I took it out for a ride and 75 miles into it realized a side cover had gone missing. Turned around and 50 miles later I found it. All 8 or 9 parts that were left of it anyway. Finding a cover for that bike is not easy as they only made it one year. Even the other bretheren of that model were only produced a few years and none in the same 1 year color that I have. Even Plastex couldn't save it as it was pretty mangled. I bought a used one on evilbay and now have to paint it - some day.

The moral or the story is: "Safety wire your covers."

Comment

Haven't had to deal with a broken tab, but I strengthen existing tabs with short lengths of coat hanger bent into an "L" shape and lots of epoxy. I repair cracks with epoxy and fabric softener sheets as mentioned in the tips&tricks section a while ago. Never had a repair fail so far.

Comment

Originally posted by MelodicMetalGod View Post
                I could use a left side cover, too (it's cracked right down the middle). It's amazing Suzuki or somebody out there doesn't make these things as it seems that there's a lot of demand just from the members of this website alone.

Best of luck with the tabs!
                I believe you can buy replacement covers, but they only come in black and have to be painted and striped. I do not think the striping is available anymore so I don't want to go that route.

Comment

Thank you for all the info.!!!!

Comment

I bought a new cover for my 78 gs1000 through the dealer. I believe it was about $60, but was worth it to me.

Comment

I managed to get a set of sidecovers here, they were broken but the price was right (free). One of the top tabs was broken and I fabbed up a piece of strap metal (hardware store) using my dremel. I epoxied it into place, riveted it in, and it works great. I'm almost done sanding and primering them, getting ready to paint someday.

I'll have to give that Plastex a try. I was almost ready to fabricate side covers out of aluminum when I found these.

Comment

I know the rivet trick will work, but the head of the rivet will show on the outside of the cover. I would really rather not have to bondo over the rivet (prob have to skim coat the entire cover). I think i'm gonna try the Plastix stuff.

Comment

This trick works pretty good if you still have all the pieces. Use standard Superglue, place some on the joint, so it squeezes out slightly, and then sprinkle baking soda on it. Do it outside, cuz it gasses off a little. I was skeptical at first as well, but it works pretty good. I have repaired not one, but two rearview mirrors for my car this way. My buddy that works for a dealership says they fix mounting tabs all the time this way all the time for customers w/out insurance. Oh yeah, probably only want to try this one an inconspicuous area. It gets pretty messy, what with the baking soda all over the place.
                          Last edited by Guest; 08-06-2007, 07:58 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention

Comment

Working...
                          X