Rack Like this... Cheaper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rack Like this... Cheaper?

Hey... is this the going rate for a rack like this?... I only ask since it is really the first one I found simular to ones I have seen in other threads...just some custom brackets are needed to get to fit the 80 GS750E anyone have any thoughts on this?

That's actually a very fair price for what looks like a brand new rack! Used racks in good shape often sell for more than that because they're getting harder and harder to come by. That rack isn't as stylish as some (in my opinion), but it looks well built and is probably more useable than some of the others.

If you like the way it looks and REALLY want a rack I'd snap it up. Otherwise, keep your eyes open for one that better fits your sense of style ... they DO show up from time to time.

Here's a link for a used rack with a backrest that might do the job for you - if you "buy it now" it works out to about the same price as the new "rack only."

Regards,
    Last edited by Guest; 08-07-2007, 01:38 AM.

Comment

I think racks made from round tubing are much more attractive... I've got a nice Kawasaki one on my 750. Sawed off the "arms" and hose-clamped it to the seat grab rail. Perfect fit! ;-)

Comment

Who makes these things... I'm trying to find out where these guys selling these get them from... see if I can save some money. Even though teh round ones look better I really prefer just the rack right now.

...looking at this thread gave me the idea except I know my handlebars are not those shown in this thread look like ones from a 'L'

Comment

this thread is making me wonder if a custom welder can make one.

Comment

Originally posted by Kcwiro View Post
            Who makes these things... I'm trying to find out where these guys selling these get them from...
            That's the problem -- no one is making racks for ancient motorcycles anymore. It looks like the auction is for an NOS leftover from the '80s.

If you want one, pay whatever it takes to snap up the next one you find -- if you can find one at all. Of course, if you or a good friend can weld, you could likely make a decent rack without too much trouble and expense.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by Kcwiro View Post
              Hey... is this the going rate for a rack like this?... I only ask since it is really the first one I found simular to ones I have seen in other threads...just some custom brackets are needed to get to fit the 80 GS750E anyone have any thoughts on this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuk...spagenameZWDVW
              Probably about the right price for NOS rack. I bought a used one like that with an adjustable back rest for $20 about 2 years ago and made brackets to fit on my '83 GS750es. It's not very stylish, but it is functional. Last evening my blower motor went out on my AC and I have the sheet metal housing with motor and squirrel cage fan bungeed to the rack this morning to hunt for a replacement...A co-worker who parks next to me asked if that was my answer to AC on my MC

Comment

Originally posted by moto_dan View Post
                Probably about the right price for NOS rack. I bought a used one like that with an adjustable back rest for $20 about 2 years ago and made brackets to fit on my '83 GS750es. It's not very stylish, but it is functional. Last evening my blower motor went out on my AC and I have the sheet metal housing with motor and squirrel cage fan bungeed to the rack this morning to hunt for a replacement...A co-worker who parks next to me asked if that was my answer to AC on my MC
                ...and you told him it was YOUR answer to "Turbo Boost" ... right? ;-)

Comment

Though I am not a fan of a sissybar... I found another one that is used and local to me with the sissybar included...used yes but more than half of the cost of the new one...can always take the sissybar off... cept now I will have to match it to my redone seat from sargent cycle... I'm sure they can probably do something to repair the little damage this is showing...a little rust under one of the brackets but out of sight out of mind though I will see if I can dispatch some of that away when I get it =)

Less something wlse comes along here =) we will see

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post
                    ...and you told him it was YOUR answer to "Turbo Boost" ... right? ;-)
                    I wish I'd been that quick witted...he being a Harley rider may have believed it :shock:.

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post
                      That's actually a very fair price for what looks like a brand new rack! Used racks in good shape often sell for more than that because they're getting harder and harder to come by. That rack isn't as stylish as some (in my opinion), but it looks well built and is probably more useable than some of the others.

If you like the way it looks and REALLY want a rack I'd snap it up. Otherwise, keep your eyes open for one that better fits your sense of style ... they DO show up from time to time.

Here's a link for a used rack with a backrest that might do the job for you - if you "buy it now" it works out to about the same price as the new "rack only."

Regards,
                      And its a KG Engineering product. KG made good stuff.
                      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
                        And its a KG Engineering product. KG made good stuff.
                        I actually have a black version of that KG rack on my 550L, but my backrest is a much more low-key piece without the big chrome loop on top. In fact, I don't recall having ever seen another one like it. That, by the way, was referred to as a "mini" rack by KG. They made a larger, longer version which I passed on because the small one was a better fit for the little bike's lines.

Regards,

Comment

Case closed i bought a rack like that one just used and with a sissy bar. I will get the brackets made and fitted on my bike in a few weeks and then take pics for those that have had their interest intrigued.

Thanks for the insight!

Comment

I've seen them 30-150 bucks at the salvage yards, depends on where you are and who you know. there are bigger styles that have multiple attachments and hold maybe 50+ lbs?

Comment

I think I'm gonna have to use a Jedi mind trick or something to get a rack for my 700. Stinkin' rare item.

Comment

Working...
                              X