Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine covers clearcoat starting to look "icky": polish or go black???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got some pics

Ok I've done the timing cover and valve cover while I had them off for valve adjustment. The rest to follow whenever I feel like it. ;-)

The sun washed out the pictures a bit... Anyway I'm very pleased with the result. As somebody else said, it looks just like fresh cast aluminum. Crisp uniform sparkly matte finish.

If you look at the stator cover in the second shot you'll see how things looked to begin with.

Comment

Looks good. Really good. Kinda makes me wonder why I spent a whole weekend polishing my side covers...Oh well. I think they look real nice against the semi-gloss black engine. Now, just get yourself a stainless bolt set off ebay, and you'll be rockin!

Comment

Has anyone tried removing the clearcoat and polishing with the covers on the bike? Just asking, I can remove them and was planning to do so, but wondering if it's possible to do a good job without removing the covers.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by GaThumper View Post
          Has anyone tried removing the clear coat and polishing with the covers on the bike? Just asking, I can remove them and was planning to do so, but wondering if it's possible to do a good job without removing the covers.

Thanks!
          I wouldn't recommend it. That aircraft stripper is nasty stuff. Even the overspray will burn your skin. The parts often need a good sanding after stripping to remove any scuffs or corrosion stains.... easier done under a hose or a sink .The polishing part wouldn't be easy either.
          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
            I wouldn't recommend it. That aircraft stripper is nasty stuff. Even the overspray will burn your skin. The parts often need a good sanding after stripping to remove any scuffs or corrosion stains.... easier done under a hose or a sink .The polishing part wouldn't be easy either.
            Thanks for the reply. I was actually wondering about NOT using stripper if done on the bike... didn't know if a polishing compound could remove the clearcoat? Maybe start with a more agressive rubbing compound and then a polishing compound, then a polish? Just thinking...

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I was actually wondering about NOT using stripper if done on the bike... didn't know if a polishing compound could remove the clearcoat? Maybe start with a more agressive rubbing compound and then a polishing compound, then a polish? Just thinking...
              The problem with that is the little nooks and crannys (especially the clutch cover) are caked pretty thick with clearcoat. It would be hard to sand or polish it off. The aircraft stripper is the only way to go. Spray it on, wash it off, and you're ready for wet sanding and/or polishing.
              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
              79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

The problem with that is the little nooks and crannys (especially the clutch cover) are caked pretty thick with clearcoat. It would be hard to sand or polish it off. The aircraft stripper is the only way to go. Spray it on, wash it off, and you're ready for wet sanding and/or polishing.
                I'm sure you are right. I'll do it the right way eventually. I may experiment a little though... Mine are not totally bad, so I may pick out a spot where the clearcoat has started to bubble and play with it a bit. Definately want to strip and re-finish them later though. I'm going for a really nice restoration, but it may be a work in progress for a while, I'd rather be riding!

Here's a pic before I started this summer...

and here's the other side just before removing the carbs...

Comment

The parts often need a good sanding after stripping to remove any scuffs or corrosion stains....
                  Truth be told I stripped it, sprayed it with Simple Green and CLR, scrubbed it with a plastic bristle brush (like you use to wash dishes), sprayed it again with 409 and Windex, rinsed, dried, and painted. No sanding whatsoever. There were still corrosion stains with mild texture, but the aluminum paint went on smooth anyway, and after baking the matte finish hides imperfections. Doesn't get any easier!

The aerosol stripper from Walmart worked great. Nasty stuff! Didn't say "aircraft stripper" but I suspect it's the same stuff.

Also note this 1000 degree high heat aluminum paint (no-name brand from local hardware store) doesn't really start gassing out until 450 degrees. I started at 300 and bumped it up 50 degrees every 15 minutes and left it at 500 for like 45min. Then turned off the oven and let it sit overnight inside. I'm fairly sure my entire family will be developing massive tumors very soon after those fumes.

Comment

Has anyone tried removing the clearcoat and polishing with the covers on the bike? Just asking, I can remove them and was planning to do so, but wondering if it's possible to do a good job without removing the covers.

Thanks!
                    I've been pondering how I could paint the stator and clutch covers without removing. It annoys me to get into those oil control areas if I don't have to. Maybe sand the large areas and carefully blast a little stripper into the nooks and crannies, after removing all bodywork and laying rags over everything else. I think that would work, except:

1) I'd be painting the bolts. Not a big deal I guess. There seems to be some kind of "bolt kit" on this bike already (7mm hex heads) but they are a bit corroded. Or maybe I could find some clever way to mask them...
                    2) I'm not sure the stuff would cure under normal engine operating temps (see above post).

Comment

Gaskets are fairly cheap, and it's much, much easier to do it right than even doing a temporary job. You can do one cover a night and still be able to ride the bike in the morning, whether you go the painted or polished route. If you use the POR-15 clear, however, it takes 3-4 days to completely cure, so you might as well do it all at once and get it over with. Plus, it doesn't have a very long shelf life once it's opened.

I've painted the covers both ways, on and off the bike and from personal experience it's much easier to get good results by taking the part off of the bike, and it looks much better.

As far as the fumes go, I would NEVER bake the parts inside the house. The fumes and residue can linger and even possibly find it's way into foods cooked later. The health risks are too great. You can use a large toaster oven, which is fairly cheap, or hit a few garage sales or thrift shops and get an old oven to throw in the garage. You can buy curing lamps from Harbor Freight pretty cheap.

Comment

Hey, I happen to think a little toluene adds a nice zip to a pan of brownies.

Comment

If you think toluene adds zip, have I got a recipe for you.......\\/

Comment

Originally posted by txironhead View Post
                            If you think toluene adds zip, have I got a recipe for you.......\\/
                            Only if I can bake it in the oven, in the house, with the fam. :-D

Comment

for future reference.. pure aluminum will oxidize very quickly.

also, lead is often added to ease production with metals, either in casing or in cutting.

Comment

Working...
                              X