Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another stupid polishing thread. Engine fins this time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another stupid polishing thread. Engine fins this time.

I'm polishing my engine on the bike right?..cool. I have everything to do the cases and the small crevices and all that good stuff. The only thing I'm wondering is if anyone has found a decent way to do the fins. I tried just pressing my wheel up against it and that didn't work very well. Not only will it stay steady but it just doesn't do anything. Can anyone help me? I did a search but nothing came up on this particular topic.

Sandpaper and a file my friend. Its a bitch

Comment

sounds like fun, im not looking forward to doing mine either.

Comment

Sandblast it first....than sand with 400....600...1000....1500.

I usually just sandblast by fins....gives it a clean look.

Good luck!

Comment

A dremel or at least a decent drill with some nice fine sanding, buffing and polishing bits are also your friend. Still take a lot of time, but less elbow grease. Don't forget the Mother's Aluminum Polish when you get to the buffing stage.

Comment

Holy poo that doesn't sound fun. I was looking for a way to do it on the bike, but it looks like theres no way out of this nasty business. Thanks for the info.

Comment

I sandlblast with a cheap portable blaster and I do it directly on the bike.

I use one like this....Its cheap and an easy way to spot clean.

Comment

Hi there,

Do you have any inlet rubbers, speedo and tacho back covers for the 1979 GS1000 please

Comment

can you use baking soda in a sandblaster?

Comment

Originally posted by Schweisshund View Post
                    can you use baking soda in a sandblaster?
                    with the right tip...baking soda is used quite often

Comment

I've polished case covers but never cylinders....

All I do is take some #0000 synthetic wool and scrub between the fins to clean up any oxidation. The wool leaves a nice satin finish, and won't leave scrub marks if you use fine enough wool.

After that, I'll take some fine-grit wetsanding paper and polish the edges of the fins, finishing with polishing rouge using a polishing wheel on my corded drill. Looks great - matte finished engine, polished covers and polished edges around the fins.

-Q!

Comment

Originally posted by QuaiChangKane View Post
                        I've polished case covers but never cylinders....

All I do is take some #0000 synthetic wool and scrub between the fins to clean up any oxidation. The wool leaves a nice satin finish, and won't leave scrub marks if you use fine enough wool.

After that, I'll take some fine-grit wetsanding paper and polish the edges of the fins, finishing with polishing rouge using a polishing wheel on my corded drill. Looks great - matte finished engine, polished covers and polished edges around the fins.

-Q!
                        I think I'll try this. I might try the baking soda idea too just for kicks. It sounds like it might be less painful than the steel wool idea.

Comment

Keep us posted

I will be doing some cleaning in the near future. \\/ Let me know how yours turns out.

Bob
                          Current:
                          2008 BMW R1200RT
                          Past History:1971 Honda CB350; 1972 Bonneville
                          1979 Suzuki GS550E
                          1979 Suzuki GS850G
                          1980 Suzuki GS850G
                          1983 Suzuki GS1100E
                          2006 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
                          2004 BMW R1150 RT
                          2009 Triumph Bonneville SE

Comment

I'll surely post pix when its done. Keep checking back.

Comment

I just stripped and re-painted my block and head (off the bike). Used aircraft stripper and 600 grit sandpaper. The prep for that was hard enough, I can't imagine trying to shine up the whole block with the engine in one piece and on the bike!

Comment

Working...
                              X