Dupli-Color Chrome Paint???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dupli-Color Chrome Paint???

Has anybody had any experience with Dupli-Colors Chrome Spray Paint.

Here's a link http://www.duplicolor.com/products/gold-chrome.html

This will be used on some smaller plastic pieces.

Good? Bad? So So?

I'd love to hear any opinions.

Unfortunately...businesses are not allowed to sell spray paint in the city, so I have to drive out to the burbs to get it. I'd like to know if this product is worth the drive.

I tried it on a few bolt heads. Like most silver paints it will rub off on your fingers. Clearcoating it dulls the finish to look about like brushed aluminum.

Comment

I've never had any luck with spray chrome, although I haven't tried the Duplicolor brand. Sure would be handy if that stuff actually worked.

Comment

I've used it on old piano pedals, looked good, didn't wear off for several years (about 10 coats...):-D

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
          I've used it on old piano pedals, looked good, didn't wear off for several years (about 10 coats...):-D
          Now that is impressive. Perhaps the Duplicolor brand is much superior to the Rustoleum I tried. I didn't get the shine I wanted, plus it did rub off easily as described. And Rustoleum has a tendency toward drips and other defects, I think.

I've actually been having great success lately with the cheap-o Walmart $0.98 cans! Really resistant to runs/pits/wrinkles -- very forgiving. I think maybe it's thinner as it also self-levels better. Haven't tried the metallic though.

Comment

duplicolor is no better dull silver and if you clear it in runs and lifts equal to aluminum paint

Comment

I dont see that they have any "chrome" but PJ1 spray has seamed to be an amazing paint as far as gloss and durability. They do have some "metallic silver" you might want to try

Comment

I'm bumping this thread. I was going to post a new one but figured I'd just tack it on here.

Thumb down to this product. I didn't expect it to be all mirror like or anything. I just wanted a silverish paint to help my grey clutch lever not stick out like a sore thumb compared to my chrome brake lever.

The killer here is the fact that the paint DOES in fact rub off. After letting it sit on a test part (Carb cover) for 24 hours, as soon as I picked it up and rubbed lightly with my thumb, some of the shiny silver came off leaving it more of a greyish color. Definitely not a paint to use on something that needs to be handled, touched, or anything remotely similar to contact with another object.

I might try it on the lever anyway, because I guess light grey is better than dark grey. But still a disappointment and waste of 6 bucks.

Comment

I have used that stuff to paint the brake pedals and some other chromed parts. The only thing good about it is you can do it every other day. A shot of paint on the brake pedal hides the rust- for a few hours.
                  Currently bikeless
                  '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                  '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Eh, it might have been good for that. Unfortunately, I'll never know. I opened my truck door and it rolled out and straight into a storm drain. I felt badly for the environment, but not too bad about the loss.

Comment

Any chrome spray you buy at walmart or an auto store is trash. The cap is REALLY chromed, the crap inside is a dull grey garbage.

The one I have been wanting to try is the Mirra Chrome in the killer cans from Alsa Corp. All the videos look really promising but its a bit pricy for me to gamble on right now:P

I thought about just grabbing myself a home chrome plating kit but even thats expensive :P

Comment

Do it! I'll send you my clutch lever and you can chrome it for me

Comment

Originally posted by J_C View Post
                          Do it! I'll send you my clutch lever and you can chrome it for me
                          Ya know one of use really should. Its what the team is missing. An affordable place to have things chromed :P

Comment

Any idea how much the home chrome plating kits are, or how well they work? I'm intrigued. lol

Comment

Strangely enough, as tight as Cali's pollution controls are, they are still kings of the chroming and rechroming industry. We at Mercedes have been sending wheels there for 15 years because all our midwestern sources either dried up or got outrageously expensive. Even with 2 way shipping for 18" wheels, Cali is still cheaper than michigan. Chrome is the only thing that will ever look or wear like chrome.

Comment

Working...
                              X