Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS850G -My work in progress

Hi all,

I thought I'd put a few pictures of my "ride" (if garage riding counts). It's the typical orhaned "barn bike" story. Rusted frame, the tank was trash, torn seat, etc., etc...

Being a victim of poor lighting and poorer judgement, I took it home with me. Although, I know I won't be sorry when it's done (although I'm pretty sure I will be poor).

I'm limited to 4 pictures by the site, so I had to be selective. I hope you enjoy the show.

Stripped...

My lacquer paint job.

A little paint goes a long way.

This is a rough idea of what it will look like. The parts are just sitting on the frame for your viewing pleasure. I'm hoping to have it completely done by next spring.

Obviously, I've got a lot left to do... Just off the top of my head:
    Polish the engine covers
    New tires
    Rebuild calipers
    New brake lines.
    New bars, grips and footpegs
    front fork rebuild
    coils and plug wires
    wet sand and polish remaining body parts
    paint and polish front wheel
    Install exhaust system, carbs and airbox
    replace intake o-rings
    adjust valves
    find a new home for the choke lever and ignition switch
    install new speedo/tach set up
    Ride the livin' crap out of it.

looks sharp!

Why does the motor look grey in one pic and black in the next?

Oh, and dont forget to paint the center stand! :-D

Comment

Nice. Keep us posted with your progress.

Comment

Originally posted by CA180 View Post
        looks sharp!

Why does the motor look grey in one pic and black in the next?

Oh, and dont forget to paint the center stand! :-D
        Thanks! "Sharp" is the look I'm going for. As you can see, I'm not trying to extensively modify the overall look of the bike. Just update it, change the color scheme, and make a few subtle changes here and there.

Don't worry, I won't forget a single thing...I just put the center stand back on so that I could take the rear wheel and swing arm off.

The engine is PJ1 satin black. It's just the camera and the lighting making it look gray.

Comment

Here's some pics of my seat. I got the cover at Sargent Cycle. I really liked the cover they custom made for me. I wasn't a fan of the original seat style. You can choose different textured vinyl as well as piping or no piping. Heck, you can even get colored piping! Now that's service. Here are some pics. My seat pan was in pretty rough shape. About half the seat barbs were broken off. I opted to drill a few extra holes and bolt it to the pan.

Comment

Looking Good!

Your bike is looking really good! I have an 80 850 also that I am working on. If you dont mind telling me what did sargents charge you for the seat cover?
            80 GS850GT " Are we having fun yet! "

Comment

$60 bucks! Here's the link. http://www.sargentcycle.com/readyfit.htm.

Comment

Great job Bruno! More photos please!

Regarding brake lines, I made my own from Earl's parts last weekend and it was easy and cheaper than purchasing premade (which will be on the long side anyway if you use lower than stock handlebars).

Keep up the good work.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Man, that thing looks great! I am doing an '80 850G, you may have inspired me to strip the frame down and paint it. Maybe.

Comment

bruno: so far so good. you are modernizing with the new paint, new seat....sharp is a good word..i can add that you are bringing this baby in to the 21st century with style...keep us posted,,,im an 80 and 81 owner as well,,im lacking a carb diaphram but am patient...good luck ikazuki

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                      Great job Bruno! More photos please!

Regarding brake lines, I made my own from Earl's parts last weekend and it was easy and cheaper than purchasing premade (which will be on the long side anyway if you use lower than stock handlebars).

Keep up the good work.
                      Thanks! I recently read your recent post on Earl's brake lines and new I missed out. I had just ordered a set online. I had priced out making a set with Goodridge parts and it turned out to be so expensive that I opted to have them custom made elsewhere for much less. The brand is Hel. I just got them the other day and they look great. The guy who made them called me just to make sure he got the lengths right. I will have slightly lower bars, but I don't anticipate having too much extra slack. It will be a while until those are installed as I need to finish the calipers first.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Shake View Post
                        Man, that thing looks great! I am doing an '80 850G, you may have inspired me to strip the frame down and paint it. Maybe.
                        Thanks Mr. Shake! To be honest, the work is a pain in the A$$. But it's worth it when it's over. I've got instructions on my "process" if you want them. Another member recently asked me about my techniques, so I've got them all written out. Just let me know.

Comment

So how's this bike coming? This is just the way I want to do my bike next Winter. Silver that is. I also will be painting my wheels black. How are you moving the ignition switch? I'm getting a set of 78' GS1000 carbs so I can use the mounted choke instead of having the cable and plunger assembly under the handlebars.

Josh

Comment

From your first motor picture, why does the engine have 748cm3 on it?

Comment

Working...
                            X