Anodizing forks and swingarm.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anodizing forks and swingarm.

I was wondering, has anyone anodized their forks?
    I found a place locally that can do small orders but I’m afraid that it might mess with the fitting between the tubes or weaken the forks in some way, I was thinking if I do go the anodizing route I might as well get the swing arm done as well.
    So any suggestions or experiences, or should I just paint them?

Anodizing is essentially an acid-electroplating process. The parts coated will be only 2-5 thousandths of an inch larger than the original bare metal part. relatively negligible on the parts you're talking about.

the biggest issue you see with small batch stuff is inconsistency in color, especially in reds

Comment

The original coating on alloy swingarms is anodizing.

dink

Comment

Anodizing is not very good on cast alloy parts like fork bottoms as it will highlight every imperfection, powder coating or paint is a far better option.

Mark...

Comment

forks

Originally posted by pan View Post
          Anodizing is not very good on cast alloy parts like fork bottoms as it will highlight every imperfection, powder coating or paint is a far better option.

Mark...
          Or polishing

Comment

duplicolor makes some "anodizing" paint. Its basically transparent colored paint. You could try out the look with it and if you dont like it, a little striper will take it right off. otherwise it seams to hold up fairly well.

Comment

thanks

Thanks for all the input guys, I'm trying to thread the line between good quality and cost so it sounds like painting them is probably the way to go. I'm trying to save enough cash so I can graft these beauties on.:-D

Comment

Mr.Gone, just wondering if your user id is homage to the old Weather Report song?

Comment

No sorry, its a character from a comic called The Maxx, I actually had to google Weather Report, never heard of them before, but then I'm still a bit of a uneducated youngin. :-D

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Gone View Post
                    No sorry, its a character from a comic called The Maxx, I actually had to google Weather Report, never heard of them before, but then I'm still a bit of a uneducated youngin. :-D
                    I doubt it will be your cup of tea, but here's Weather Report doing Mr. Gone live.
                    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                    X