No announcement yet.

finally some pics of my frankenstien

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

welll...we got the valve adjustment done, and synched the carbs today (Thanks Steve!!) But im still fookin rich as all get out. Went for a ride for a bit and she started drowning on me at lights after she warmed up good. Started blowing a bit of fuel smoke in the exhaust too...UGGGH. I am thoroughly frustrated...Steve and i did play with the air adjustment screws, got them set closer together, as they were ALL OVER the place...one 2 turns out one 1 turn out...crazy that it ran at all.. so now ima have to figure out the fuel screws...I looked through the carb stickys and didnt really find one...anyone have a fuel screw base for a 77 750 with pods and a 4-1 on it?? Even better if its a VH 4-1?? At least she runs well enough to ride, but i gotta fix this or ill go nutso...:shock:

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      I looked through the carb stickys and didnt really find one...anyone have a fuel screw base for a 77 750 with pods and a 4-1 on it?? Even better if its a VH 4-1?? At least she runs well enough to ride, but i gotta fix this or ill go nutso...:shock:
      You don't really need one, since it runs (sort of, at least). Since you were really rich down low, try 1/2 turn leaner on them all (I don't know off-hand if in or out is leaner on your bike) and see how it goes. You don't say where you set them before the test ride? Keep chasing that until it is OK or you are less than 1 turn out or more than 3 turns out. At that point, you need to step up or down on your pilot because you have reached the end of your adjustment range with the air screw.

Are you certain all your issues are only with the air screw? Or are you opening the throttle enough to get onto the needle as well?

Mark

Comment

Well Steve and i adjusted the air screws so that they're all the same or very very close...shes just plain (it seems to me) getting too much fuel...like i said, i can smell it and its blowing white/grey fuel smoke out the tail on blipping. Idles a bit stumbly but MUCH better than it was before...and it seems to drown itself sometimes at stop lights (only happened once today while i was out, and i was already stopping anyway) My assumption is that if the air screws were that far out of wack, the fuel screws probably are too...just was looking for a baseline...what was the factory setting etc...what do youthink??

Comment

Well Steve and i adjusted the air screws so that they're all the same or very very close...shes just plain (it seems to me) getting too much fuel...like i said, i can smell it and its blowing white/grey fuel smoke out the tail on blipping. Idles a bit stumbly but MUCH better than it was before...and it seems to drown itself sometimes at stop lights (only happened once today while i was out, and i was already stopping anyway) My assumption is that if the air screws were that far out of wack, the fuel screws probably are too...just was looking for a baseline...what was the factory setting etc...what do youthink??
          Just a guess, but, you might want to check your main jet, and see where it is....you might have to lower the needle a notch. And, on your air screws, in is lean....stock I think is 1 to 1 1/2 out, mine are set at 2....smells a bit rich, so I might need to go in a 1/4 turn....there's a fine line between blueing the pipes, and smelling the raw gas....
          Don't remember, are your carbs vacuum or manual?.... mine are vacuum, and there's no adjustment for the needle....at least not that I saw, and I JUST had my carbs off....no.... wait, that was on the Intruder.....never mind.....but, never took the tops off the GS...so there may be an adjustment for the needle.

Comment

Yeah the needle adjustment is just moving it up or down, But..ive pulled them apart, since i didnt know what kind of jetting set up the PO had in it..come to find out it looks freakin stock...the needle is even in the third slot which i believe is stock...Ima clean the shiot out of them and then check her again...I also noticed my timing is off one degree on the 2/3 and 2 degrees on the 1/4 so that may make a difference, i dunno with points if theres a measure of relativity there, some grey area..but stock is 17 degrees. I got 18 on one and 15 on the other..:shock:

Comment

Yeah the needle adjustment is just moving it up or down, But..ive pulled them apart, since i didnt know what kind of jetting set up the PO had in it..come to find out it looks freakin stock...the needle is even in the third slot which i believe is stock...Ima clean the shiot out of them and then check her again...I also noticed my timing is off one degree on the 2/3 and 2 degrees on the 1/4 so that may make a difference, i dunno with points if theres a measure of relativity there, some grey area..but stock is 17 degrees. I got 18 on one and 15 on the other..:shock:
              Whoa man that's some screwed up timing and ignition. Although one or two degrees of timing shouldn't make much of a difference I don't know if the points being off also contributes THAT much to the poor running state of the bike. Either way sounds like time for new points!

Comment

Originally posted by Ironriot View Post
                Whoa man that's some screwed up timing and ignition. Although one or two degrees of timing shouldn't make much of a difference I don't know if the points being off also contributes THAT much to the poor running state of the bike. Either way sounds like time for new points!
                Naw...its time for Dyna...and smash the points with a hammer...hehehe

Comment

Naw...its time for Dyna...and smash the points with a hammer...hehehe
                  Well if we're in the spending mood then hell yeah smash on!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X