Finally got a new seat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got a new seat.

Just wanted to do and update on what's been going on with my GS650G. I finally got a new Cafe Style seat. I still need to shave maybe another inch or so off the front and scoot it up a bit. I'm also having a hard time mounting it securely to the frame with some support underneath. I can show detailed pics of the seat if anybody wants to take a stab.

Now that I've got the Cafe Seat going, I'd like to but the battery and other electrical components into the tail. If anybody knows of any threads covering this topic, I'd love to view them first before tearing into it.

I've also taken off the muffler and just put a cosmetic tip on it. It's definitely loud now, which is good. Maybe I won't get cut off any more.

Still to come, I'm thinking about lowering the bike a bit. I'm looking into some new rear shocks, and probably dropping the front two or more inches. I'm also contemplating a set of clip-ons to replace the clubman bars.

My goal of Looks mean, sounds mean, is getting there.

gorgeous!! Ill have some 10inch eye to clevis hardmounts available soon if youd like em...free...i gotta raise mine back up to get my caff seat on lol. I noticed you cut your frame just about as short as mine..did you have to put anything under the back of the seat to support it or is that fiberglass pretty stable??

heres mine thus far...

Comment

DarkBane Thats a good looking bike. I got to agree that seat need to be shortened a little bit

TheCafeKid if darkbane doesn't want them I'd like them I want to lower mine to make it look more like a chopper.

Comment

Sure thing..ive no use for em myself...got some nice 13inch NJBs coming...you live not too far from me dont ya?? Isnt your pops the painter??

TCK

Comment

Yea I live over by Carrol High School.

Comment

HA! you're right up the road from me sorta...I live off Third near Smithville..

Comment

TheCafeKid>>>> The seat isn't on very good at the moment. The seat is almost exactly the same width of the frame, so at the moment the rear part of the seat is sitting on the frame. Thankfully the seat is pretty damn sturdy otherwise I wouldn't ride it like that. I'm trying to figure out some ways of mounting the seat, plus having some support for my fat A**. The only way I figured I could do it is just to have some sort of bracket welded in, but I don't weld, so that's my hurdle at the moment. The previous owner is the one who cut the frame. I probably wouldn't have cut it that short, but it's not bad. He didn't however weld any sort of support back into the frame, which I would like to do. I'm going to put some sort of cross member in the tail when I mount the battery under the seat cowl.
              As far as the clevis to eye hardmounts....I don't really know what those are, and n1elkyfan sounds like he'd really like them, but thanks for the offer.

Thank you all for the compliments. Unfortunately I have to put her away for the winter in about a month. But I know there are still a lot of changes to come in the future.

Comment

I've a pretty good idea for mounting cafe seats. it involves drilling a couple holes in the frame if you have that capability. then using quickclips like on the hood of muscle car so you can pop it off pretty quick. Be careful mounting the battery under the seat bubble. it needs to be pretty damn stable there....And as far as adding support, if i decide to do so on mine which is cut short like that, it would be pretty easy to get some tubing the same size diameter as your frame, and then a couple of short pieces that are small enough in diameter to fit inside it as dowling. At worst if you dont know anyone that welds, try to find a momandpop muffler shop and toss the guy 50 bucks to weld it for you, they're already pretty good at welding tubing...

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Originally posted by darkbane View Post
                    Just wanted to do and update on what's been going on with my GS650G. I finally got a new Cafe Style seat. I still need to shave maybe another inch or so off the front and scoot it up a bit. I'm also having a hard time mounting it securely to the frame with some support underneath. I can show detailed pics of the seat if anybody wants to take a stab.

Now that I've got the Cafe Seat going, I'd like to but the battery and other electrical components into the tail. If anybody knows of any threads covering this topic, I'd love to view them first before tearing into it.

I've also taken off the muffler and just put a cosmetic tip on it. It's definitely loud now, which is good. Maybe I won't get cut off any more.

Still to come, I'm thinking about lowering the bike a bit. I'm looking into some new rear shocks, and probably dropping the front two or more inches. I'm also contemplating a set of clip-ons to replace the clubman bars.

My goal of Looks mean, sounds mean, is getting there.

Nice looking bike there dude....hows that tiny @ss front fender and the bars working out? Are the bars(pardon my ignorance, but can't really tell from the pics)slip ons?
                    Keep up the great work...I bet Ironriot is jealous.....but his is coming along good also...

Comment

clubman bars...all the way baby!! clip ons generally require a bit of fanagling on these bikes, moving forks up in the trees etc..

Comment

The seat mounting at the moment is pretty basic. I have two pipe mount clips wrapped around the cross member and two dowel pins through the seat. It's very basic and not very effective. The problem is (if you can't tell by the pictures) is that since the seat and frame are the same width, the fiberglass sits right on the frame, leaving about an inch and a half of space between the seat and anything to mount it to. At the moment, having all that space scares me. The seat is strong, but I'm two hundred pounds. I don't want a hard bump to crack my seat. Again, that's where the welding comes in so that I can construct something permanent and effective. I'm trying to stay away from doing anything on the sides because I don't want anything to show on the outside.

I already tried mocking something up with some sheet metal for the battery tray under the cowl and I could already tell that I'm gonna have to make it pretty heavy duty. I was thinking about having the tail end (where the frame is cut off) join back together again. Maybe weld a strip of flat steel around following the contour of the seat cowl, and from there welding two pieces of L shaped steel to fit the demensions of the battery as it's lying down (of could it's be a dry cell maintenance free battery). I don't plan on going half assed on the battery mount. Plus having the steal wrap around, it'll give me options for rear signals that I don't currently have on.

I do not have clip-ons, they are just your everyday clubman bars. I would like to try clip-ons though. I plan on lower the front and back suspension. I could probably bring it about an inch - inch and a half through the tree.

That is not the actual front fender on the bike. I purchase a front fender on ebay and it came with the front fork support brace, which it didn't have when I purchased the bike. I was going to put the fender on, mainly because I had some back rain experiences recently. I started to like the look of just the support brace, and it actually helps in lighter rain situations.
                        Last edited by Guest; 10-14-2007, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Your bike is bad ass. I've been working on mine non stop, I still have a ways to go, but thought I'd share... I just replaced the mags with spokes. I welded some support braces for the seat so the bottom lines up with the bottom of the tank. It needs a cleaning and paint. You're bike is rad. Good job.

Comment

Originally posted by 97Intruder View Post
                            Nice looking bike there dude....hows that tiny @ss front fender and the bars working out? Are the bars(pardon my ignorance, but can't really tell from the pics)slip ons?
                            Keep up the great work...I bet Ironriot is jealous.....but his is coming along good also...
                            Most definetly. I'm eyeballing his header though . Darkbane good looking bike. I think if you lower the rear just a bit more it'll look mean as hell. If you already have then post pics! lol

Comment

Your bike is looking good Zuriick, is it a 750? I wish I had the option of different wheels, but I have a shaft drive, so it's pretty limiting. New Spring I'm going to look into some different tires, and try to widen the rear a little. I'd also like to get a larger front wheel, but I'd have to stay with the mags to match the rear. Does? anybody know if there are any models that have the same mag wheel that's larger than a 19"?

I haven't lowered the suspension yet. I'm still looking for the shocks to get? I'm not sure if I want to go with some piggyback performance shocks, or get some basic Progressives and keep the more classic look.

I'll definitely post pictures if I make changes.

I new paint scheme may be in the works for next spring as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X