Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oo Oo does it got dual disks up front?

Comment

yup..I was considering switching that to my Cafe project...but im leaning away from it..thats alot of added weight, and im not even sure if my wire rims will accept the second disc at the moment..and i gotta have the wires..if you're interested lemme know..I'd be willing to part with it..minus the tires (im keepin those..)

Comment

Hmm I'm seriously considering it. I like having TOO MUCH braking power. But the weight is alot. As it is I'm trying to cut some weight off of the bike

Comment

what model GS you have again??

Comment

550. It needs the weight savings. Its a heavy mother. So far I removed all the pegs and brackets. Those things were heavy. And the chain cover and the gauges up front. I should save myself all in all about 30 or 40 pounds. Up next is cutting off all the useless mounting tabs off the frame.

Speaking of which I got a fair amount done today. I started putting the wheels back together and my replacement carbs came in. I should be finishing up with it soon. Although the carbs look like they went through a fire. I'm gonna open them up tomorrow or the next day to see whats up on the inside

Comment

Yeah im into all types of music...from Camille Saint Saens..to Steely Dan to Meshuggah...

My main listen is metal, but lately ive been kinda jaded on it..its all sounding cookie cutter...The latest fall from grace for me is Killswitch Engage...I loved those guys..then they got all radio crappy..it happens..

My top five fav bands from the heavy scene at the moment are (in no order) Clutch, Unearth, Lamb of God, Nothingface (RIP?) and of course TOOL but i dunno if thats really heavy anymore...

Comment

Originally posted by Ironriot View Post
                550. It needs the weight savings. Its a heavy mother. So far I removed all the pegs and brackets. Those things were heavy. And the chain cover and the gauges up front. I should save myself all in all about 30 or 40 pounds. Up next is cutting off all the useless mounting tabs off the frame.

Speaking of which I got a fair amount done today. I started putting the wheels back together and my replacement carbs came in. I should be finishing up with it soon. Although the carbs look like they went through a fire. I'm gonna open them up tomorrow or the next day to see whats up on the inside
                What year 550? They use the VMs?? or the BS? And your 550 is no where near the weight of my 750 id bet...what size forks are on it? 35mm??

Comment

Yeah my musical prefrences are everywhere from orchestral to jazz to metal. I just hate country and rap. Well ****ty rap. I enjoy Outkast and Tupac. And yeah i feel ya on the metal getting all cookie cutter. I've been feeling that same way lately. And I feel the exact same on KSE. They used to be my favorite band but the new stuff. MEH. I'm actually expecting Lamb of God to follow suit in the next few months. It feels like thats the way their music is heading. And yeah with the recent metal scene being what its being I've turned to the old school. Right now i'm blasting floyd and priest. LOVE MY JUDAS PRIEST. Seriously that music is timeless.

Its an 81 with CVs. What are BSs? And you got me on the fork size. I haven't bothered to check them. But yeah I think the weight of mine and your's might be close

Comment

Yeah my musical prefrences are everywhere from orchestral to jazz to metal. I just hate country and rap. Well ****ty rap. I enjoy Outkast and Tupac. And yeah i feel ya on the metal getting all cookie cutter. I've been feeling that same way lately. And I feel the exact same on KSE. They used to be my favorite band but the new stuff. MEH. I'm actually expecting Lamb of God to follow suit in the next few months. It feels like thats the way their music is heading. And yeah with the recent metal scene being what its being I've turned to the old school. Right now i'm blasting floyd and priest. LOVE MY JUDAS PRIEST. Seriously that music is timeless.

Its an 81 with CVs. What are BSs? And you got me on the fork size. I haven't bothered to check them. But yeah I think the weight of mine and your's might be close
                    Priest IS timeless...and some Maiden..yeah boyyy
                    BSs are the actual model name for Mikuni CV carbs..the CV is a generic term for Constant Velocity carbs..If those you got dont work out for you, and this other interested person decides against em, ill let em go for a good price. 81 huh? I dunno bout the 550s much...is it an 8v set up still?

Comment

If you like good rap, and you obviously like jazz and metal you NEED to check out Canderia if you havent already...AMAZING band...in one song they can go from NY hip hop to a jazz xylophone solo, to some bone cruching metal...GOOD CHIT!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                        Priest IS timeless...and some Maiden..yeah boyyy
                        BSs are the actual model name for Mikuni CV carbs..the CV is a generic term for Constant Velocity carbs..If those you got dont work out for you, and this other interested person decides against em, ill let em go for a good price. 81 huh? I dunno bout the 550s much...is it an 8v set up still?
                        **** YEAH MAIDEN BABY!!!!!

Ah really I didn't know that about the CVs. I knew CV was for constant velocity but I thought thats what they were named also. Hopefully they work. I only need two bodies though. Carb #2 and 4. The PO broke one of the float towers on #2 and I screwed up the Idle Air Screw on #4 real bad. Everything else is fine. And yeah its an 81. Pretty alright year. It already has the electric ignition which I LOVE. I hate points. Such an outdated technology, even in the eighties.. And yeah its still the 8V set up. Which I'm kinda disappointed about though. When it said DOHC on the side cover I was like HELL YES 16 valve head. Unfortunately thats not the case with this one

Comment

**** YEAH MAIDEN BABY!!!!!

Ah really I didn't know that about the CVs. I knew CV was for constant velocity but I thought thats what they were named also. Hopefully they work. I only need two bodies though. Carb #2 and 4. The PO broke one of the float towers on #2 and I screwed up the Idle Air Screw on #4 real bad. Everything else is fine. And yeah its an 81. Pretty alright year. It already has the electric ignition which I LOVE. I hate points. Such an outdated technology, even in the eighties.. And yeah its still the 8V set up. Which I'm kinda disappointed about though. When it said DOHC on the side cover I was like HELL YES 16 valve head. Unfortunately thats not the case with this one
                          Actually there are those that will say the 8v model was a bit more sturdy than the TCSS motors...so you may be in better shape. and the valve sizes on those are pretty generous so you're in good shape there. I have points on my 77 still but ill change that over the winter. Im just not experienced enought with them, the two hondas i owned i never really had to mess with thankfully. If those forks are 35mm these will bolt right up if you are considering that...not pressing you to buy em or anything, ill sit on em till someone wants em, i just want to sell them to someone that i know will use them for goodness. well im off to the rack..got a longggg day of wrenching tomorrow...got that 80 to strip, i wanna change out the sprocket on my 77 to get that MONSTER rear off of it. It winds out way too fast. gotta change an alternator in my car and i think i may try to get that Yammie XS goin..carbs are cleaned a hell of alot better this time. We'll chat it up some more tom night bro..might have some good progress onthe cafe to share. Peace and Grease my friend!

TCK

Comment

Any advantages to using those forks? YOu can answer tomorrow though. Speaking of monster rear I just checked my rear sproket size. Its a 49 lol. Should be interesting when I get it running. I'd just grab the electric ignition of an '80 and up bike. Beats spending alot on a Dyna. Actually you can just steal it from the '80. And tomorrow sounds fun (I enjoy wrenching). Alright man I'll catch you later. I'm heading out of town in a few hours but i'll be back on tomorrow night. Laters bro

Comment

Originally posted by neil young View Post
                              Woohoo...just discovered there are no shims in a tcss engine.they are adjustable like the tappets on my cb's\\/\\/:-D
                              In that case according to Clymer..your clearence should be .09 to .13 mm...if ya didnt know already..

Comment

Any advantages to using those forks? YOu can answer tomorrow though. Speaking of monster rear I just checked my rear sproket size. Its a 49 lol. Should be interesting when I get it running. I'd just grab the electric ignition of an '80 and up bike. Beats spending alot on a Dyna. Actually you can just steal it from the '80. And tomorrow sounds fun (I enjoy wrenching). Alright man I'll catch you later. I'm heading out of town in a few hours but i'll be back on tomorrow night. Laters bro
                                Dual front disc is a nice advantage...lol And as far as swapping the elec ignition, im not sure thats possible...i had considered it on my bike, since i have this TCSS motor sitting here doing nothing, and havent honestly looked at it, but im not sure its going to fit. just the cover alone looks slightly larger than the one on my bike...BUT they didnt switch to 16v motors on the 550gs ...found that one out today...Thanks to Steve...so that answers my previous question. In light of that, you MAY be able to do it on your bike..tho id ask around on the grade of difficulty, as the dyna is nearly plug and play...Wrenching was great today..I actually had that whole 80 stripped, except the motor out, by the time the others got here...swingarm and everything..it was nice not to have to cuss at bolts and slam chit around in anger..lmao I also found a solution to my cafe's rear splash guard problem...the one off the 80 fit, and it doesnt move...ill make sure to doubly secure it, so that ugly metal rear fender thingy went bye bye...YAY! progress on the cafe! albeit little, its one less thing to have to worry about...also got the shocks on it, which raised it up nice, and didnt mess the lines of the bike up like i was worried about. The parts for that 80 are flying out the door...so far ive sold the frame, the gauges and possibly the stator and cover for it, the carbs and have someone interested in the forks...besides you :P Didnt get everything done that i wanted to...like taking the alternator out of my car and exchanging it...i just put it in 3 mos ago and its crapped already. POS duralast crap. And i didnt get around to the XS... damn daylight savings time for ending already...it got dark and i was thinking it had to be late...6 oclock.. gay...lol
                                Last edited by Guest; 11-04-2007, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X