New tank Decals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New tank Decals

I had a friend of mine cut some custom decals for me and I just put them on the tank. I still need to clear coat the hell out of it, but I'm happy thuis far. Let me know what you think.

pirates among us...

looks all right in itself but i'd like to see the whole bike before my final comment
    thanks for sharing
    GS850GT

Comment

I dig it! But then i have a similar going on my bike, lil different, using a dead WWII pilot looking skull with the aviator goggles and what not..so you'll get no complaints from me! Is it vinyl or what? Watch that your clear coat doesnt eat it...

Comment

Like the top stripe but I'd lose the skull if it was mine....
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Not my style, but it does appear to be nicely done. \\/

Like TCK said, be sure your clear coat does not attack the decal.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I appreciate the advice, I hadn't even thought of that. I have some of the vinyl left over to test my clear coat. I'll get some pics of the complete setup soon.

Comment

Hey here are a few pics of the tank installed (well, sitting on the frame). The first pic is what the bike looked like when I got it. The second was taken today.

Also, the seat is custom, my wife sewed it out of marine grade vinyl. For a shadetree project, I'm very happy with how it's coming out.

Comment

i think it looks good man! Figure out a way to stowe that wiring somewhere (in the frame tubes maybe?? ) and it will look great!

Comment

Looks good for a cafe/rat beastie. As CafeKid says try and tidy the wiring and change the seat pad to black or even white.

I've just finished repainting my GS in gloss black and I'm thinking its looking a little plain. I like the chequerboard stripe and have done it on my XS so I might do it again. I'm a bit betwixt and between.....white chequers or silver??? I painted mine on last time and it was a bit of work so I think a trip to the sign shop might be called for. My pirating days are over so no skull and bones ( or lightening bolts) for me.

Good job on that and enjoy it.
                  Spyug.

Comment

Yeah The wiring is my current project, I'm relocating the battery under my rear cowl/hump (whatever you want to call it). It will all still be cleaned up a bit. I'm also going to paint my headers black, seeing as the chrome is in sad shape. I'm undecided as far as the rims go, since mother nature has taken her toll on them as well. I'm going to step the tires up to probably 130 or 140s, to give it that modern cafe look.

I think once I get the engive covers (crankcase/stator/tranny) painted black it will also give it more of a finished look. Thanks for the compliments fellas. This is my first bike ever and it definitely helps having a group who knows what the hell they're doing. Take care.

Comment

battery

just remember the more wire you use to relocate your battery, the more power you lose, if its hard to start, i might rethink relocating it farther back.especially with winter approaching.

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                        looks all right in itself but i'd like to see the whole bike before my final comment
                        thanks for sharing
                        seen the pics you posted...
                        mate, suits the bike just fine, love it!
                        GS850GT

Comment

So, as I mentioned, I decided to see about getting decals done at the local sign shop so I slipped over to see what could be done.

I have never delt there before but the guys seemed nice but a little dim when I mentioned I wanted a "chequerboard" stripe. They both looked at me with lack of comprehension. "Could you show us your design or draw it out?" I can do better can you give me your'puter for a minute?

I dials up the forum and this thread and viola...the neat picture of the tank.

"Oh you mean a taxi stripe !" Yea whatever. "Do you want the skull and bolts? That'd be a bit extra". Nope just the stripe about 6' x 2" wide with maybe a 1/4"stripe on either side and maybe in silver/black.

" No problem, we can do that for about $45 + tax."

Mmm. I'm not sure about that. Checkers are fiddly to lay out but I can shoot a lot of paint for $45. So I'm betwixt and between again. Tape would be quicker but I'm basically a cheap Scotsman so maybe I'll paint.

See what you started guys.

Cheers,
                          Spyug.

Comment

I can honestly say the the stripe took me maybe 10 minutes tops to put on. As preparation I used newspaper as a pattern to cut around the gas cap. It was worth every cent, as opposed to painting which might require repainting and trying again and again. It's just a matter of taking your time. I decided that I'm going to have it professionally clear coated, but I'm very happy with the decals having applied them myself. $45 is a bit steep for just stripe, since all they have to do is tell a printer of sorts to cut it, but I'd go ahead and go with the vinyl.

Comment

Working...
                            X