Hand pounded tank pics...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tank is looking great.

Now can anybody tell me what bondo is, or the uk equivalent.
    Is it like some sort of a semi flexible filler or something?

I see folk mentioning it a lot around here, and I feel like I'm missing out on some magical goodness :-D

Comment

Originally posted by Headphase View Post
      tank is looking great.

Now can anybody tell me what bondo is, or the uk equivalent.
      Is it like some sort of a semi flexible filler or something?

I see folk mentioning it a lot around here, and I feel like I'm missing out on some magical goodness :-D
      American slang term for auto body filler. There really is a company called Bondo, and it stuck as a term. Nitrocellulose filler.

Comment

Thanks Pauly...i dunno if that center stand will work...ill have to investigate unless someone knows off hand...pre80 850 centerstand on a 77 750B? Anyone? Bullar?

Comment

Hey TCK,
          Tank looks real nice.
          Looking forward to the finished product.Prolly not as much as you though lol.
          Good job mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Headphase View Post

... I feel like I'm missing out on some magical goodness :-D
            Once you have inadvertently let some dry on your tools, furniture, clothes and arm hair you might question the goodness part.

Is damn useful stuff though.

Comment

Yup..lol ive had to sand down a couple screwdrivers used for stirring that got forgotten about...i didnt think it was magical goodness then..lol

Comment

the tank looks great! I may do the same if I can get the courage.

Comment

good job on the tank, looks like it turned out pretty well. How long did that take you to do all the pounding? Also i would suggest that you just make a seat. fiberglass isnt too bad to work with, just make sure you wear some gloves. The resin gets pretty sticky. Just did the bottom of the seat pan in my garage a few nights ago. Now on to trying to make the rear tail section. Ran into a problem using some expanding foam, didnt sit how i wanted it. so time to try a different route. But if you have any questions on anything about fiberglass or making a seat pan just pm me. this is my first time and i have to say that it isnt as bad as i thought it would be.

Comment

Took me about a half hour to do the hammering, took me several more hours to do the Bondo and painting.

Once you swing that hammer for the first time you will find that it is the easiest part if the job. Just be careful, a buddy got a little heavy handed and made a small crack in his. It welded up fine, but it was a hassle that could have been avoided.

Comment

Yeah exactly...20 minutes worth of beating...MANY hours of filling..prolly really only a few but its been stretched out over many days as i havent had alot of free time. I'd give it an hour or so every night after work, and the first couple days i was down there a couple hours at a time, but like i said i used many thin passes with the bondo so it was alot hurry up and wait. cant seem to get a good day of weather with which to paint, however, as i wont do it inside in the basement cos even i cant stand that smell. And again i dont have a garage. Got a buddy who said i could use his over the winter so that should help out. By spring i should be sitting pretty with a sweet cafe bike. My next big feat after getting the carbs tuned is going to be taking down the motor for new gaskets and im painting my case covers black and installing polished stainless hex heads, that should look pretty wicked. Anyone have advice on this, as far as tearing it down? I may take a look at my valve seals too, i think they are ok but who knows. Hard to tell when your bike isnt running right to begin with, had gas in my oil. Just a touch, but enough to make the plugs wet and black. Dunno if it was oil, didnt smell like it, but we'll see. Still shopping for a good 2valve 750 motor too.

Comment

thread

man this thread blew up quick, great job. can't wait to see the finished bike.

Comment

Thanks man! Now that i figured that damn camera out (techno-iliterate) Ill post up a bunch of progress pics. Im looking for a boxed alu swingarm to convert and i think that and once found a better looking 2v motor will be the last touches. But in the meantime im working with what i have as those things can be done as i get them. Next on the appearance mods list is obviously paint, and a seat. I think im going the Airtech route, as i dont have experience with fibreglass nor the place to really use it and not worry bout the stink. Plus, i rather like the design of their H2 style seat, think it will go well with my look. That should be coming soon, christmas present to myself...lol

Comment

Barely checked into this thread.... Good work buddy. Alls looking well in Dayton, Ohio.... Seeing as you don't want to screw around with the 'glass, pound it out of aluminum. That's would be awesome X100

Comment

That is a great thought! I dont have the stuff to do it right now, but at some point i may give that a shot!

Comment

sure you do. You already said you have a ball peen hammer hehehe. You don't really need that many tools. Just metal pounding hammers and dolleys which really aren't expensive and something to pound against. Some people use an old leather pouch stuffed with heavy cotton. I know a memeber on here Gustov uses an old tree stump. I forgot what he made with it but it was nothing short of awesome. And all only with a hammer and stump

Comment

Working...
                                X