No announcement yet.

Hand pounded tank pics...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i may give it a shot. I am more a fan of the boxy cafe seats than the bubble ones. so it would prolly be easier than i think.

Comment

Yup shouldn't be too hard to pound out that style that you like out of aluminum..... Man this thread got people to post that I haven't seen in a few months congrats

Comment

heh..wasnt intentional...glad to see byrd and beergood gave me the thumbs up. They were the ones who more or less convinced me i could do it. I havent seen Trippivot on here in a while, he was supposed to be letting me know about a price on a 2v motor...

Comment

Speaking of which I haven't seen Intruder on in a while and I need to talk to him

Comment

nice

hey cafe kid, i am watching your progress closely, i have a 77 750 (despite what my sign in name says) that i am going to try to "improve" this winter, so it's great to see "b" specific work.....particularly interested to see how your carbs work out, as mine are due for a going over......keep up the nice work

greg
            1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

I say go for the aluminum tail section. What's the worst that could happen (other than a black thumbnail)?

I have a friend that is turning his garage into a metal shop, he's about 50% done. And another that started working in the Detroit Brother's shop two months ago. I intend to tap both of them as resources over the winter and do some metal fabbing. I want to make a similar duck tail style like I have now, just maybe a little simpler.

My one buddy who has been learning metal working over the last year (the one with the garage) pointed out that most of the Ferrari body panels made before the mid 60s were done with hammers and wooden blocks. So apparently it is true that you don't need a ton of expensive tools to do truly beautiful work.

As for me not posting in while, my bike has been running fairly well, so I haven't really needed to do anything. Once I get settled in a new pad and have a garage (I am sort of homeless at the moment) I intend to do a ton of work over the winter, so expect posts and photos galore.

Comment

There you go man 2 votes for the aluminum

Comment

here's some pics of the tank on the bike...i couldnt resist, she's not done yet but i had to see how it was gonna sit.

Also got her raised up with new (to me) shocks, and lost the metal splash guard in back in favor of a plastic one i scavenged off the 80. Works much better, isnt attached to the swingarm and i can cut it down to tuck it under the seat pan. Also slapped my header with its fresh wrapping on to see how it looked. Everything is mock up right now, as i am STILL waiting for the fedex guy...supposed to be here today, havent updated the track since the 22nd...they just lost any future business from me.

Comment

Fedex'll do that. Although I've come to learn that they'll always deliver my package a day earlier than originally estimated

BTW the bike is looking awesome man. The tank is looking equally good.... What tires are those? I like the look. They look kinda tuff

Comment

I like the look of that wrapped header. I was thinking of doing the same thing.

Of course, that is just one in a long list of things I am hoping to do.

The mock-up looks good so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironriot View Post
                        Fedex'll do that. Although I've come to learn that they'll always deliver my package a day earlier than originally estimated

BTW the bike is looking awesome man. The tank is looking equally good.... What tires are those? I like the look. They look kinda tuff
                        Cheng Shin (sp?) I dunno what model they were on here when bought and they dont say the model on them. They are pretty tough lookin, but eventually id like to go a "lil" wider on the rear, prolly 130 or so and get some Avon Venom-X or Roadrunners. I got a set of Avons sittin here, may keep around and switch em when these start to go, but then again i may sell them with the rims.

Comment

If you do decied to sell them let me know I wouldn't mind haveing another set of those rims so I could clean one set up and ride on the others. plus I need a set of tires.

Comment

oh wow you did huge knee cups.

I did small knee cups and some somewhat subtle bar cups so the bars don't hit at all.

Comment

Well im using clubmans, so i dont have a problem with the bars..they hit the lock before they come close to the tank. I though about bar cups too, but decided against it cos i like the leading line of the tank.

Comment

Originally posted by n1elkyfan View Post
                                If you do decied to sell them let me know I wouldn't mind haveing another set of those rims so I could clean one set up and ride on the others. plus I need a set of tires.
                                Lemme know when ya want em, and i'll sell. I can always buy a set of tires down the road...these on my bike are practicly brand new.

Comment

Working...
                                X